Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0481!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2012, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy P0481!!!!!

Ok, I've been through all of these posts, i just bought an 04 non turbo, and the check engine light is on, p0481, so i got to looking around, and found all four wires to the ac compressor were cut, and the low speed wire to the fan was cut as well, the ground wire in the connector had obviously been soldered. ok, so point being previous owner thought it neeeed a new compressor, and gave me the new one with the car, i put it on, fixed the wiring issues, remember both plugs on the compressor, and the fan still didn't work, so i dropped the fan, opened it up, and one of the brushes was bad on the low speed side. bought a new fan motor, put it in, and now the problem is starting to show itself, the low speed runs constantly now, i still get the p0481, oh, the compressor hasn't been charged yet, it's oiled, but otherwise inert, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 22 Feb 2012, 10:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0481!!!!!

This is not my strong area but you have a hot wire some were feeding the motor. Probably why the brush wore out to begin with. Check the wiring for a jumper to that circuit.

Keep us posted on results.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 08:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: P0481!!!!!

i figured it out after alot of swearing, and a couple hundred dollars in parts lol. the fan WAS bad, one of the brushes completel worn out, and that was on the low side. put a new fan in, new a/c compressor, redid the previously cut wiring, now for the kicker! maybe i'm an idiot, but when i look in the power distribution box, there were a couple empty slots, like most cars, and i didn't think anything of it, but come to find out, the high speed relay was straight missing, and the PCM, seeing this tells the low speed to stay on constantly, here's what's wierd, all four wires to the a/c were cut, and the low speed wire to the fan was cut. shrugs, ionno, it works right at the moment!
Old 23 Feb 2012, 09:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0481!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserNewbie View Post
i figured it out after alot of swearing, and a couple hundred dollars in parts lol. the fan WAS bad, one of the brushes completel worn out, and that was on the low side. put a new fan in, new a/c compressor, redid the previously cut wiring, now for the kicker! maybe i'm an idiot, but when i look in the power distribution box, there were a couple empty slots, like most cars, and i didn't think anything of it, but come to find out, the high speed relay was straight missing, and the PCM, seeing this tells the low speed to stay on constantly, here's what's wierd, all four wires to the a/c were cut, and the low speed wire to the fan was cut. shrugs, ionno, it works right at the moment!
Great catch. Pro & DIYers will do this stuff!

Tags
cooling fan, p0481, runs constantly