Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power steering hose leak, help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2012, 12:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power steering hose leak, help!

Well yesterday I went to check out a customers 05 PT cruiser N/A. She told me that the power steering gave out on her all of a sudden. I soon as I saw the car, I noticed it was leaking. I asked her about the leak but she told me that it was the first time it leaked that much. I oped the the hood and the reservoir was empty. Since all I saw from the top was P/S fluid on top of the a/c compressor, I crawled under for a better view. Once I removed the plastic cover, I still couldn't tell where it was leaking from so I added a bit of P/S fluid to the reservoir and started the car. I saw that it was leaking from the hose where it connects to the pump, between the metal hose and the hose nut fitting. I removed the line and saw an o-ring, I changed the o-ring put everything back, turned it on and it was still leaking so this is where I'm stumped. Can anyone help me?....sorry for 1st long post!
Old 24 Feb 2012, 03:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Power steering hose leak, help!

Geez, it sounds like you've found the leakpoint, attempted to repair it,
and the repair didn't work for some odd reason.

Was the original o-ring ripped?
Old 24 Feb 2012, 03:27 pm
Banned

Let me get this straight;

You're a mechanic and actually saw where it was leaking. At the point where the PS hose attaches to the pump.

You pulled the line and saw that there was an "O" ring there and you replaced it. It still leaked.

So you just happened to have the correct "O" ring with you that fit the PT power steering pump instead of having to go to the dealer to get it?

Next "if I was a mechanic" I would then go and get the real "O" ring and try it again. If you then see that it is still leaking I would replace either the hose or the PS pump. The most likely and of course easiest choice, would be the hose first.

tirs
Jerry
Old 24 Feb 2012, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Geez, it sounds like you've found the leakpoint, attempted to repair it,
and the repair didn't work for some odd reason.

Was the original o-ring ripped?
Ihats why I been scratching my head and no it wasn't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Let me get this straight;

You're a mechanic and actually saw where it was leaking. At the point where the PS hose attaches to the pump.

You pulled the line and saw that there was an "O" ring there and you replaced it. It still leaked.

So you just happened to have the correct "O" ring with you that fit the PT power steering pump instead of having to go to the dealer to get it?

Next "if I was a mechanic" I would then go and get the real "O" ring and try it again. If you then see that it is still leaking I would replace either the hose or the PS pump. The most likely and of course easiest choice, would be the hose first.

tirs
Jerry
No, I didn't have the same o-ring! I tried the stealership but they don't have just the o-ring and they told me I would have to buy the whole hose, thats why I tried a regular o-ring first.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 05:35 pm
Banned

Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited by wwpptc; 24 Feb 2012 at 05:40 pm.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 05:38 pm
Banned

Thats the high pressure side and If you didn't use the correct o-ring (Apparently thats should read "complete line") it will leak. So now you've got to duplicate your work and go back in again and replace the hose.

Jerry
Old 24 Feb 2012, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTworker View Post
Ihats why I been scratching my head and no it wasn't!

No, I didn't have the same o-ring! I tried the stealership but they don't have just the o-ring and they told me I would have to buy the whole hose, thats why I tried a regular o-ring first.
I sorry we are not all perfect in the eyes of some. But I commend you for trying to understand just exactly why it failed. If you don't understand the why you can't fix it, you end up throughing parts at it till you get lucky. Sounds like a dealership doesn't it. Oh forbid I get my grammar wrong here. I think someone might have used a smaller diameter o ring to start with and you installed the same size with the same result. Use a thicker one & rub a little oil on it before you insert fitting. Make sure you use o rings compatible with power steering fluid.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 08:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

That's certainly likely, the O-ring was too small.
We assume that,
it's been untouched
the replacement o-ring was at least an approximation of what was needed.
If it were, you'd see it ripped.

There's also the possibility that line was removed and isn't seating for some odd reason- I'd doubt the 'packing' nut would seat, tho
Old 24 Feb 2012, 09:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
We assume that,
it's been untouched

There's also the possibility that line was removed and isn't seating for some odd reason- I'd doubt the 'packing' nut would seat, tho
The line would have to be obviously messed up to keep it from going all the way in. I'd think.
He also said in the beginning the owner said it didn't leak this bad before.

Last edited by Busted_PT; 24 Feb 2012 at 09:15 pm.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 10:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
We assume that,
it's been untouched

The owner told me that nobody has worked on the car other than me! When I put the line back in, it went in without any problems and the nut turned smoothly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post

The line would have to be obviously messed up to keep it from going all the way in. I'd think.
He also said in the beginning the owner said it didn't leak this bad before.
Like I said, it went in smoothly. What I'm still trying to figure out is what made it fail in the first time. There is no way that the thread would of failed.

Is there anyway that there is crack on the metal line after the o-ring?