Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Mount Compatability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2012, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Mount Compatability

I've seen the engine mount topic inside-out and upside-down... for 01-06 models...
I have a 09 PT that's showing some considerable drivetrain rock and I'm looking to either add inserts, or replace altogether, inserts preferably(cheaper,transferable). Can I safely assume that the mounts are consistent throughout the whole decade?
Old 24 Feb 2012, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Mount Compatability

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasebaboon View Post
I've seen the engine mount topic inside-out and upside-down... for 01-06 models...
I have a 09 PT that's showing some considerable drivetrain rock and I'm looking to either add inserts, or replace altogether, inserts preferably(cheaper,transferable). Can I safely assume that the mounts are consistent throughout the whole decade?
Yes, but inserts as far as I know are not available. Solid or stock is basically your choices.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 07:51 pm
Banned

If you're talking abou the upper and lower torque struts then yes, There are several companies that market inserts for them. A couple that come to mind are "Energy Suspension" and "Prothane". They are the two that seem to be the most popular. Prothane has two grades of firmness. Their black colored inserts are for the street. Their red is for racing. You can also just remove the struts and if the rubber isn't broken you can simply fill them with one of the better grades of home window seam filler. Bunches of owners have went that route, but just as many have done the inserts. Personally, I wouldn't go the filler route.

Personally, I just installed the OEM SRT-4 struts. They are stronger than the stock PT struts and don't produce any noticable vibration if you install them at the correct measurements. Some have gotten lucky and got the measurements right by accident, but I wouldn't rely on that happening.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 132.09 SRT4-PT turbo strut.jpg (35.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 132.10 Stock PT strut.jpg (36.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 24 Feb 2012, 11:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Grease, I bought my struts at AutoZone. They were Duralast. They were the same struts (part number) for a PT or SRT. I'm pretty happy with them--not too much vibration at idle, and the motor doesn't rock anymore. And they have a lifetime guarantee if they break down like OEM ones (which have no guarantee).

They're also fairly cheap.

Tim
Old 25 Feb 2012, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Grease, I bought my struts at AutoZone. They were Duralast. They were the same struts (part number) for a PT or SRT. I'm pretty happy with them--not too much vibration at idle, and the motor doesn't rock anymore. And they have a lifetime guarantee if they break down like OEM ones (which have no guarantee).

They're also fairly cheap.

Tim
They won't last a lifetime so might be worth the extra $ over on line mounts.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, all.

Had my wife run it through the gears while I looked at the top and lower torque mounts.. Turns out that the lower is broken for sure, not sure about top.

Ended up buying the Anchor brand mounts from Rockauto, even though I know not everyone was happy with their quality. Paid just under $40 total for top and lower, expedited shipping figured in.

I think I'll get them on as a short-term fix, then add the Energy Suspension inserts to beef them up when I can afford it in a month or two.

Tags
engine mount, motor mount