Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant leak from unknown part

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2012, 03:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant leak from unknown part

I have a coolant leak from the circled part and want to know if there is anything I may be able to do to fix it or if needs a more experienced touch. Can you give me the name of the part that the leak is coming from? Thanks in advance.PTCruiserLeak.jpg
Old 26 Feb 2012, 04:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant leak from unknown part

Please don't post the same question in more than one place on the forum.

It's the Bleed Valve that is leaking. You can try tightening it, or replace the nipple to stop the leak.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Feb 2012 at 04:14 am.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 11:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Is that a dealer only part? Mine has that same leak, not much just a little.
I'll try to tighten mine too.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That should be the same nipple for bleeding as the brakes and the ball joints so you should be able to pick one up at an auto store. If you have to take it out, to take it to the store, you'll loose coolant so put a pain/pan under that area.

What you could do is put a long rubber hose on the end of the nipple, loosen it and coolant will come out if the other end of the hose is in the pail. Wait till the water stops coming out, then you can take the nipple out without loosing any coolant on the ground.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 12:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the prompt response and I won't post like that again. Now this may seem like a dumb question but do I just tighten the nut around it or do I need some special tool to do something else
Old 26 Feb 2012, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzlaalaa View Post
Thanks for the prompt response and I won't post like that again. Now this may seem like a dumb question but do I just tighten the nut around it or do I need some special tool to do something else
Its all one peace. Lefty loosey righty tighty.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First try to see if it's leaking where it's screwed into the thermostat housing or leaking from the center hole. If you can tell, and it's the hole, then yo have to replace the whole nipple. If leaking from where it's screwed into the housing, a 10 mm or what ever it is, around the outside of the nipple will be able to turn it clock-wise (righty tighty as Busted PT said) and tighten it up.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Feb 2012 at 12:50 pm.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 01:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I dope it up (not too much) with permatex #3- Keep it from seizing.
You can bring it into an auto parts store as Crewzin' suggested- They'll have a drawer or two for you to march up.

Once you remove it, you'll see how it works
Old 26 Feb 2012, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzlaalaa View Post
I have a coolant leak from the circled part and want to know if there is anything I may be able to do to fix it or if needs a more experienced touch. Can you give me the name of the part that the leak is coming from? Thanks in advance.Attachment 4518
The #2 item is prone to crack could run down and appear to be coming from the bleeder. You will need to look carefully.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 04:16 pm
Banned

First, a pic would be great. That would allow us to get a better Idea if it is indeed, just the bleeder that is leaking. If your system hasn't been properly maintained, you could have had deterioration happening inside the rad and the rest of the system for some time. It occurs from the inside out. PLEASE NOTE---this phenomenon doesn't effect only PTs. There are millions of cars on the road that this is happening to if they are not prperly maintained.

The wrench the fits the bleeder is a 3/8". Use a box end so it won't slip off and rip your arm to shreds in those close quarters. It's tight in there.

Spray with some WD-40 an hour or so before you try to tighten, to penetrate and break any corrosion loose. Wipe rag to remove residual WD before trying to tighten.

The first reason the valve is there is to release the air from the system while you are filling it. The second, rarely mentioned and inter-related reason, is to prevent the new coolant from bubbling up out of the thermostat housing and spilling antifreeze over onto the serpentine belt or its components as you are filling it. They are directly below the housing. If this happens and it is allowed to soak into the belt, the belt will squeak forever or until you can no longer stand and replace it. "an once of prevention" as the saying goes.

Open the Thermostst housing and if corrosion is present in the system it would be a good time to flush and refill with a HOAT type antifreeze.

Jerry