PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
41TE automatic transmission experiences

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2012, 04:03 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 44
Question 41TE automatic transmission experiences

Could anyone tell some experiences about his/her 41TE transimission (lifetime/failures etc..)

I have bought my car with 180 000 miles, and with an engine failure. I will replace the engine to a rebuilt young one and I decided to replace some parts also in my automatic transaxle, beacuse it is out of the car now. It has no problem at this moment, but I want to prevent it from some failures in the future.

Unfortunately I don't know the service history of my car, but I can see, that the transmission fluid was replaced at least once . Anyway I guess, that the transaxle was never disassembled till now.

I already bought a speed sensor set, and a rebuilt solenoid block with warranty, because I red on the internet, that many failures are caused by these.

Should I buy a master rebuild kit or only a full gasket kit ? Should I buy a new torque converter? What are the common failures by 41TE transmission? What is the average lifetime of this transmission?

Last edited by AndrewJ; 28 Feb 2012 at 05:01 am.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2012, 07:59 am
Dedicated Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,943
Default Re: 41TE automatic transmission experiences

My wife's transmission went at 80k miles
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2012, 08:05 am
compdr59's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 543
Default Re: 41TE automatic transmission experiences

I have 111k on my current one and I sold my 01 with 112k w/o any mechanical issues. My 01 needed the TCM replaced under warranty. I hope it lasts for ever.
__________________

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2012, 08:37 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Just south of the Mason/Dixon line
Posts: 1,713
Default Re: 41TE automatic transmission experiences

i had mine rebuilt @60-65k because i was adding more power. Now at 159k and two fluid changes later, it's showing signs of wear. Hard 3-4 & 4-3 shifts. Studder going from 2-1 and sometimes does not go into 1st at a dead stop. On a side note, i DO run it hard. NOt abusive but hard
__________________
.....................................
'03 GT base w/175k and a 2 speed autostick (read: trans is shot) and powered by a hybrid MOPAR S3 with DSP untuned
1st Forward Motion E1 powered PTGT w/Psi-Fi Power pack fuel tuner back in '07
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:42 am
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: south of Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: 41TE automatic transmission experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
On a side note, i DO run it hard. NOt abusive but hard
Hrumph, hrumph. If you all knew what he's got in there (big turbo, etc., etc., etc. you'd see that his atx stood up pretty well for what he's pushing through it.

Kevin, are you going to try to somehow get AJ's friend Jerry to do his magic on it or just gather the HD parts and have someone local do it?


Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2012, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 44
Default Re: 41TE automatic transmission experiences

Thank you all for these experiences - I think that I should buy a master rebuild kit after reading all the answers, but I don't know if I would rather buy also a new torque converter

My car was used in the countryside - mainly on highway, so maybe this is the reason for the relatively good condition.


Anyway does anyone use Lubegard protectant fluid in the aut. transmission?

I have found this fluid in a recommendation on ebay, but I hadn't heard about this fluid before.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2012, 04:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 543
Default Re: 41TE automatic transmission experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
My wife's transmission went at 80k miles
Ditto on my '01.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:43 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,901
Default Re: 41TE automatic transmission experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Thank you all for these experiences - I think that I should buy a master rebuild kit after reading all the answers, but I don't know if I would rather buy also a new torque converter

My car was used in the countryside - mainly on highway, so maybe this is the reason for the relatively good condition.


Anyway does anyone use Lubegard protectant fluid in the aut. transmission?

I have found this fluid in a recommendation on ebay, but I hadn't heard about this fluid before.
I Wouldn't worry if there's not a ton of junk in the pan. Debris in the converter when rebuilding a tranny after a failure which you don't have is why most tork converters get replaced. But then again just in case!

Last edited by Busted_PT; 28 Feb 2012 at 09:45 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2012, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 44
Default Re: 41TE automatic transmission experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I Wouldn't worry if there's not a ton of junk in the pan. Debris in the converter when rebuilding a tranny after a failure which you don't have is why most tork converters get replaced. But then again just in case!
Hmm - the fluid doesn't seem to be old, because it was clear and pink and also the filter was clear. But I don't know if the former fluid was clear. I cannot trust in the work of the former mechanics. I was wondering if they really used f.e. ATF+4 fluid, because they used 10W40 oil in the 2.0 16V engine and they usually changed it after 9000 miles. They didn't order a new aut. transmission oil pan sealing - they rather used liquid silicone oil sealer (that started later to leak)! Bungle..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2012, 06:46 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,901
Default Re: 41TE automatic transmission experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Hmm - the fluid doesn't seem to be old, because it was clear and pink and also the filter was clear. But I don't know if the former fluid was clear. I cannot trust in the work of the former mechanics. I was wondering if they really used f.e. ATF+4 fluid, because they used 10W40 oil in the 2.0 16V engine and they usually changed it after 9000 miles. They didn't order a new aut. transmission oil pan sealing - they rather used liquid silicone oil sealer (that started later to leak)! Bungle..
My 04 turbo came from the factory with silicone on the pan. Ya just got to use the right stuff and clean the mating surfaces very well.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pt cruiser automatic transmission topic Cyclone35 General PT Cruiser Discussions 44 07 Feb 2017 06:06 pm
Automatic Transmission ptcruisersam General PT Cruiser Discussions 7 08 Feb 2012 06:43 am
Automatic transmission oil change bhunt41 Tech & Performance Forum 2 02 Dec 2011 11:10 am
Help! How to drain and refill automatic transmission? crooner44 Tech & Performance Forum 7 11 Jun 2009 01:42 pm
using second gear with automatic transmission? gfx Tech & Performance Forum 2 18 Jul 2004 02:24 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors