Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fuel Injector Cleaner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2012, 03:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fuel Injector Cleaner

Is it OK to use this with each fill-up or not...I bought a bottle of Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner for "high mileage vehicles" the other day and it seems to really make a difference in how smooth the car idles, not that it was terrible before, but it is notably better. Any suggestions?
Old 28 Feb 2012, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel Injector Cleaner

I was just at Advance Auto this morning and picked up 2 bottles of Chevron Techron. This time they had a "buy one get one free" sale so saved me a little bit. I throw a bottle in the Corvette and PT about every 6 months.

Putting it in with each fill-up seems a little overkill to me.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Because I live right next to the waterfront, I use quite a bit of the cleaners mainly to reduce the amount of condensation occurring in my fuel cell. Personally, I run Seafoam once every three months, and a bottle of injector cleaner once per month. My most noticeable difference is when the Seafoam is run through it. Also, do your best to keep from ever running below 1/4 tank - this will keep you from sucking up the gunk off the bottom of your tank and keeps your fuel lines from getting any clogs. Least that's my opinion.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys....I live right on the Oregon coast so I may try the Seafoam stuff just for the heck of it. I just bought the car a week ago and it has 83,000 on it. 06 non-turbo. Car is great inside and out but I dont have a service record for it so I'm trying to do some preventative maintenance, oil change, tranny service, etc. Only thing that makes me nervous is the timing belt change that seems inevitable.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, timing belt, water pump is due at 100K. You have time to look around for an experienced mechanic that's worked on the PT before and time to look around at the different prices that are charged for the job. It does vary from place to place.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking timing belt

Be aware of sticker shock!!!
I had two estimates #1---$1,100.00, includes belt,water pump,flush and disposal.#2--$850.00 w/o pump,flush, with pump,$1,000.00. Not dealer prices.

Alternator--$600.00
Old 28 Feb 2012, 05:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hey DWG,

Where do you live on the Oregon Coast? I live down in Northern Ca. on the coast,
Just wondered if you are close to McKinleyville, Ca.? I have an 06 Gt. PTpreacher
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's good to run these products. Like CREWZEIN said a little over kill. Far as sucking from the bottom of the tank, the pump and filter are sitting down on the bottom of the tank. The biggest issue I see running below 1/4 tank is the loss of cooling of the pump. The plastic tanks on these cars are not as prone for condensation as the steal tanks were. They don't rust ether. Who's handling the gas is another concern. Try to buy your gas at places you've not had any problems with.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:49 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I use a shot of Lucas fuel treatment and injector cleaner with each fill up. I buy it by the gallon - much cheaper per ounce tha buying smaller bottles. I like to think it improves my mileage a little.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Fuel Injector Cleaner

I live just north of Cape Blanco on the coast....Which by the way is the most western point on the West coast