Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Burnt clutch Manual

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Feb 2012, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Burnt clutch Manual

Ok so the problem that I have with my 2001 2.0TE started on Monday; I was driving along and then had to stop to let someone out so changed gear and "pop" (it seemed) my PT was now stuck in whatever gear I had changed to (presumed 3rd) could not move the stick - or at least i could move the stick but it was not connected at the end it felt...so there i was stuck stationary in gear....I had to move the car to get away from causing an obstruction and manaed to pull away in that gear with a bit of riding the clutch...then travelled home (1 mile away) begging for an easy flow of traffic, of course this didn;t happen and i had to start again in that gear - now this time some smoke (not a great deal but noticable) came from under the bonnet, and i managed to get home and stop - the smoke stopped as soon as i had got moving (again I couldn;t stop where i was as was at a junction)

Found on here that my transmission bushes are not too good, and the rod had come off the arm hence why it was stuck - reseated it and it worked and turned out i was stuck in 2nd. took car out for test run and all gears happily working so have ordered some booger bushes for the weekend and noted to take it easy and not snatch at gears until then.

problem now is that there is always a burning clutch smell once the car is warm, the clutch performs as expected (fine) gears drive fine also. I even tested the clutch by trying to pull away in 3rd and the car nearly stalled...

so my question is, i clearly burnt the clutch in my exercise above - is it terminal? the burning smell is that just becase of what i did and how can i treat my cluitcjh to prolong its life?! or how can i check that it is indead screwed

Mileage is 72,000 miles.

Thanks in advance
Old 29 Feb 2012, 09:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Burnt clutch Manual

i would think that youre fine. burnt clutch is a nasty smell the may take some time to subside and eventually go away. your clutch got hot. but i highly doubt that there is any isseus. i would just take it easy for a lil bit, let the friction plates re surface them selves. change those bushings and enjoy your PT
Old 29 Feb 2012, 09:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdskinner731 View Post
i would think that youre fine. burnt clutch is a nasty smell the may take some time to subside and eventually go away. your clutch got hot. but i highly doubt that there is any isseus. i would just take it easy for a lil bit, let the friction plates re surface them selves. change those bushings and enjoy your PT
Thanks, I was hoping you woudl say that, I have done this before in another car (i don't make a habit of it honest - more that I am unlucky!) and the smell does go after a while, its just this seems to have taken a while to go so far...

one thing i thought of, woudl it be best to stay out of gear when at traffic lights and stopped as much as possible for a bit to let it recover?
Old 29 Feb 2012, 09:52 am
Cool Cruiser

I dont think you should have to take it outta gear while sitting at a light. your foot will be on the pedal so the clutch will not be engauged. (providing its adjusted correctly) if you want to do that you can but its up to you!!! my dads pt has almost twice the mileage as yours. owned previously by a wanna be speed racer and the clutch is still firm and dont slip. just one lil mishap like you had should not effect the clutch.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 12:50 pm
Young Cruiser

i purchased a luks clutch assy on e-bay for my pt with 107000 miles, cost was $215 which included shipping, now i notce the price since then was reduced to $195 i had a local shop installed it at a cost of $250 which included 2 qt of mopar gear oil.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 02:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
I dont think you should have to take it outta gear while sitting at a light.
You didn't learn to drive with my dad:

"What the HE!!!" "You wanna change that throwout bearing?"
Slip clutch even a little bit; "You gonna buy the new clutch?"
Needless to say, we never wear out clutches or TOB's!

He grew up in the depression, nothing was wasted, they even saved bent nails from old buildings.
Way different time than now.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 07:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I dont think you should have to take it outta gear while sitting at a light. your foot will be on the pedal so the clutch will not be engauged. (providing its adjusted correctly) if you want to do that you can but its up to you!!! my dads pt has almost twice the mileage as yours. owned previously by a wanna be speed racer and the clutch is still firm and dont slip. just one lil mishap like you had should not effect the clutch.
The longer you hold down that clutch pedal, the longer you have that TOB spinning at the engines idle speed, the faster you wear out the TOB!

NOTE TO ALL MANUAL TRANNY PT OWNERS - Don't sit there holding down the clutch pedal if you don't have to! Take it out of gear and let off the clutch, you will extend the life of your TOB.

Believe me - you're talking to the voice of experience here!!!!
Old 29 Feb 2012, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And by the way, the TOB on these clutch kits are not sold separately, you have to buy the entire clutch kit!
Old 01 Mar 2012, 11:58 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
And by the way, the TOB on these clutch kits are not sold separately, you have to buy the entire clutch kit!
not true, rockauto.com, e-bay, amazon all sell release bearings (tob) without purchasing the complete kit, price runs from $24-$60.