Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil treatment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Feb 2012, 08:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Oil treatment?

What type of oil treatment do you guys use (if you do) to free up say, sticky lifters, etc. Lucas, sea foam, 3M, STP? I'm actually asking for our Subaru and not Mater. Just figured as annal as we are with our PT's could not hurt for our subi.

Thanks!
Old 29 Feb 2012, 09:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Oil treatment?

I got 237,000 miles off my old 1989 Subaru--and I never put anything other than oil in it. I sold it eight years ago when we bought the PT, and the guy I sold it to says his niece is still driving it.

Tim
Old 29 Feb 2012, 09:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
I got 237,000 miles off my old 1989 Subaru--and I never put anything other than oil in it. I sold it eight years ago when we bought the PT, and the guy I sold it to says his niece is still driving it.

Tim
Thanks Tim-

Ours is a 98' 228k on the clock. Just have a slight tick till she warms up real good, from what I think is a sticky lifter. Just took her on a trip from CO to IL and back (2400 miles) and got on average bout 26-28 mpg on the 2.5L. Would gladly buy another one, any time. Fantastic in the snow where I live, for a car, that I've never had stuck (no tow truck necessary) with the AWD, in the 5-6 years we have owned it. Another PT would be great too!
Old 29 Feb 2012, 09:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

2.4 is a very 'clean' engine.
I've pulled apart many 2.4's, and 2.0's and rarely find any sludge, usually
they are super clean- My 2.0 @ 282k:

No additives
Old 02 Mar 2012, 09:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

Personally I do like using teh seafoam treament in teh crankcase right before changing the oil.

it says just to let it idle or drive it for like 10 miles or something and then change I usualy drive it around town fo r aoucple of days befor changing the oil no ill effects.

as for additives to the tank.
I like the 2 in 1 bar's oil treatment.
and I just put in a can of BG's MOA this oil change due to finding a couple cans in tool cart when I pulled it out for my epic tune up I did last week.

Other than that I usually use really light weight oil (Mobil 1 full synthetic advanced fuel economy 0w-20 or 30).

I'm personally not a huge fan of the lucas stuff since its just soo darn thick.
But when my 1984 toyota corolla sr5's front main seal busted and I just needed to drive around I used it and the thickest oil I could get for a car to try and keep as much as possible in the crankcase so I could get too and from work and stuff.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 03 Mar 2012, 09:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by srebik View Post
Personally I do like using teh seafoam treament in teh crankcase right before changing the oil.

it says just to let it idle or drive it for like 10 miles or something and then change I usualy drive it around town fo r aoucple of days befor changing the oil no ill effects.

as for additives to the tank.
I like the 2 in 1 bar's oil treatment.
and I just put in a can of BG's MOA this oil change due to finding a couple cans in tool cart when I pulled it out for my epic tune up I did last week.

Other than that I usually use really light weight oil (Mobil 1 full synthetic advanced fuel economy 0w-20 or 30).

I'm personally not a huge fan of the lucas stuff since its just soo darn thick.
But when my 1984 toyota corolla sr5's front main seal busted and I just needed to drive around I used it and the thickest oil I could get for a car to try and keep as much as possible in the crankcase so I could get too and from work and stuff.
Thanks for answering my question Srebik!