Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car Wont start!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2012, 08:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car Wont start!!

Hey guys im new on this forum. My wifes 01 Crusier died on us couple months ago. I do dabble in working on cars but nothing major. I went threw my routine of normal things wrong with car.
So i of course took battery out to get checked and it was bad so i bought new battery and it started but with a little ride around complex it died on me. so i thought alternator Took out alternator to get checked but it was good.
i checked plugs they needed to be replaced and also found out need new valve cover gasket cover but in process of taking off intake manifold my iac sensor was cracked and i replaced it. When ever i take off battery i give it a little charge and when i put everything together it started again. i thought it was fixed and i let it idle for 15 min and never once sounded bad or like it was gonna die but when i went to give some gas by revving thorttle by throtle body it died on me again.
Now im out of ideas.... and i checked for codes with scanner and nothing comes up.... so any help would be nice im thinking of replacing cam postion sensor just cause to see if helps.
It seems to start everytime i charge battery but i dont know if its because i disconnect battery and computer resets. Im going to try key dance to see what comes up also.

Last edited by txgalant8; 01 Mar 2012 at 08:19 pm.
Old 01 Mar 2012, 08:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Car Wont start!!

So,
runs intermittently-

Only willing to run at idle-

No codes-

Yikes!

Not alot to go on here, sounds like you're thinking very well, though, noticing the car seems to 'reset' when battery is disconnected.
Old 01 Mar 2012, 09:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How many miles?
Old 01 Mar 2012, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

it has about 130,000to 150,000 miles on it. So tomorrow im going to do the key dance and see what comes up...
Old 01 Mar 2012, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

o and it has a strong crank but it just wont catch to start and i do hear the fuel pump when it is in on postion.
and it just happened to die while my wife was driving and it had done symptoms before where it would bog down and then back to normal rpm while driving..
Old 05 Nov 2012, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have worked on 2 PT cruser, I found on both cars, there is a stran is wire that runs along the rack n pinion the same wires that connect to the alternator. They are hard to see you have to follow the wires from the alternator and inspect them carefully make sure u pull back the wire harness to expose all the wires. they fall down just low enough that they rub along the rack n pinion or maybe it is called the inner and outer tie rods. you will see what I am talking about if you lay under the car i mean u have to be in the center to see what I am talking about. hope this helps
Old 06 Nov 2012, 07:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hopehope you are right on the money with that fix, my 03 did the same thing in June and after replacing the alternator, battery, and computer I by chance saw the exact wire problem you described. i resoldered the wires back together coated them, then wrapped about 2 feet with elctrical tape then got the wire loom material from Autozone and enclosed the wires in that, then zip tied them up off of the steering rack.