Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine will not rev above 1500 in park

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2012, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default engine will not rev above 1500 in park

first of all, thank you to everyone for their great advice. i recently replaced the water pump and timing belt. had to do it three times to line up the marks.
however, the car will start and idle at 1000 rpm and i can put it in gear and go forward and backwards, but i cant give it the gas. i have cleaned all the sensors and checked the wires, even replaced rear o2 sensor. no codes, just p1684 (the battery disconnected). any ideas?
Old 05 Mar 2012, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: engine will not rev above 1500 in park

oops, newbi, 2002 2.4l
Old 05 Mar 2012, 11:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbccdc View Post
first of all, thank you to everyone for their great advice. i recently replaced the water pump and timing belt. had to do it three times to line up the marks.
however, the car will start and idle at 1000 rpm and i can put it in gear and go forward and backwards, but i cant give it the gas. i have cleaned all the sensors and checked the wires, even replaced rear o2 sensor. no codes, just p1684 (the battery disconnected). any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbccdc View Post
oops, newbi, 2002 2.4l
Are you hitting the rev limiter? Check the connector to the cam sensor.
Old 09 Mar 2012, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for getting back with me, had to wait to get paid. new camshaft sensor. re-cleaned all the sensors on top of engine. no change. car starts, idles at around 1000 rough and jerky. still can not rev above 1500, limiting out. not to sound stupid, but is this rev limiter something to be replaced or something in the pcm. only replaced the front o2 sensor. something else i forgot to mention, when wife was driving car and went into limp mode a few minutes later she said each one of dash indicator lights came on one at a time and then each gauge went all the way up then all the way down and then the car quit.
Old 09 Mar 2012, 04:35 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm no expert but it sounds like maybe the computer is bad its just my thought don't take this as an answer to your problem

03 N/A CRUISER
Old 23 Mar 2012, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok, for the update, after weeks of yelling at my pt, and spending too much money on sensors, i have finally fixed it. woo hoo !!!

the problem was the catalytic converter. the way i found it was, a friend said take out the front o2 sensor and start the car.
started it ran and reved fine. so i cut off the converter (about 3' back) so i could put a tail pipe connector back on, took a 2" copper pipe and drove it through the honeycomb and gutted it out. got $28 in scrap for honeycomb

car runs fine

thanks for all the info i have found on the site