Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bearings going out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2012, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Bearings going out?

Hey all. Been a long time since I've posted . Probably because it's my Girlfriend's '08 and i try and help out/search for what I can. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure whether here or wheels, brakes & suspension.

Anywho, it's sounding like the bearings are goin' out in the front end. I've done some reading/searching on here and seems like I get a few contradictory ideas (which i guess is usually the case )

Some people are saying bearing noise typically goes away at higher speeds, and it's really the slow-speed grinding that's indicative of shot bearings. Conversely, I've read, heard and experienced bearing noise increasing with speed. Starts as a small whine, and the faster you the higher the pitch and volume

Than I read up on the possibility of the CV joints (oh yeah... front wheel drive). And that if these are going they make some noise. Do they make a very similar noise?

She (and I) didn't notice any of this noise until she got new tires. So originally we were thinking it was just the new tire tread pattern making noise on the road. My mom has an '02 and my dad said he noticed the same thing when she got new tires. The front end just makes noise.

Well lately seems like the noise is getting louder and it's a "grinding"-esk sound. The tone doesn't change when the tires go over new/old patches of pavements leading me to think it's not the tires. The tone doesn't change when i drop it into drive out of O/D leading me to believe the transaxle is relatively OK.

Leaves bearings, CV's and axle drive (?).

TLDR - Front ends making noise and i can't determine what's making the noise. I can do most of the work aside from pressing bearings.

We're headed out to Vegas in a few weeks and don't want to get stuck with an exploded bearing mid-dessert.

Thanks for time!
~Strykr

Last edited by StrykrForce; 05 Mar 2012 at 01:53 pm.
Old 05 Mar 2012, 02:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bearings going out?

Front bearings typically change in noise if you turn the wheel a little one way or the other as your rolling. How's the brake pads? Could have more than one issue. Axles generally clunk or click on hard turn.
Old 05 Mar 2012, 06:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll have to go out and do some parking lot circles. I've been told that a couple of times now that the sound will change if you're turning and such and i can't remember off the top of my head if it does or not.

I haven't check the pads/rotors but i don't think they're that bad. I suppose i could check them though. That's a good point. If one of them's dragging or is stuck or something that could most certainly cause an issue i suspect.
Old 09 Mar 2012, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well drove it up and down the street tonight. ~30-40 MPH it starts getting really apparent and there's a few nice curved streets up at the end of my neighborhood.

Took the curve @ around 45 and the sound got much louder on one side. Opposite turn and the sound didn't increase as much.

Took it into a shop, they agree - Both bearings are shot (I knew at least the driver side was and I would have them replace both anyways)

Soooooo sounds like the cars gonna be fixed.

Now to put in that cruise control :-P

Thanks for the input!
Old 09 Mar 2012, 07:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like every thing is under control. If you get the cruise.