Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Some questions about the fiance's PT.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2012, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Some questions about the fiance's PT.

Well, I'm new here, and I know very little on cars. My fiance is buying a 2003 PT Cruiser Classic 5 speed, and little known to us, the dealer (used car lot, as is warranty), failed to mention some problems. Some are just things that get on my nerves, but aren't important (i.e. the little light in the drivers side window control doesn't work, top lighter socket doesn't work) <see, not too important. But some things, are important, and the fiance knows quite a bit about vehicles, and we know that the aeon/a-arm (whatever it is) bushing on the drivers side is gone, and the passenger side one looks kind of rough. The car has 17 inch rims on it (was like that at the dealers), and anytime you shift gears, the car kind of like rocks forwards & backwards before it'll go. According to the dealer, it's because of the rims, but someone told us that the rim shouldn't matter, just as long as tire height is right. I think the tires are 225/60/R17, the only number I can't 100% remember is the middle, but I'm pretty sure it's 60. It's not a grinding or anything, just the rocking type thing. I think it might be the tires not being weighted correctly. Also, when we took the front tires off, we noticed that there's grooves (kinda) in the black round thing (I think its the caliper, maybe, but I'm probably wrong!). By the way, the fiance has a terrible habit of leaving the key in the ignition, and opening the door, which starts that completely annoying dinging, which would be fine, except when he's aimed to run in somewhere and right back out, and opens the door, and starts talking...but is there anyway to make it not ding (I usually pull the key out, but fiance gets frustrated because when he gets back in, the keys gone and he starts freaking out, it's kind of funny).

Any suggestions on the rocking problem would be appreciated. Again, its a 2003 PT Cruised Classic, 5 speed, 17 inch rims with 225/60/R17 tires.

I just remembered that on the tires, I think some are a different brand name, but they all have the same numbers on them.
Old 06 Mar 2012, 11:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Re: Some questions about the fiance's PT.

Srry about your problems. As far as the dinging goes, you could wire to a switch from the door to trick the car into thinking the door is closed when its open.

I wouldnt disconnect it all the way... Its the same system that tells you your lights are on.

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 06 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

it is NOT THE RIMS and if you asre saying it does this when you are just starting to move it is NOT the tires
It could however be a busted motor mount
the a fram bushings go bad and are nto to hard to replace there are stickeys on here with awesome step by step plus a lot of folks who know a lot

the dinging is just how the car is sorry

id take it some place and have the motor mounts looked at they are easy to replace ( except the middle one) and while you are doing that the bushing are right there
it will make a big diffrence
Old 06 Mar 2012, 12:50 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
it is NOT THE RIMS and if you asre saying it does this when you are just starting to move it is NOT the tires
It could however be a busted motor mount
the a fram bushings go bad and are nto to hard to replace there are stickeys on here with awesome step by step plus a lot of folks who know a lot

the dinging is just how the car is sorry

id take it some place and have the motor mounts looked at they are easy to replace ( except the middle one) and while you are doing that the bushing are right there
it will make a big diffrence
I'll second that! I replaced the two outer motor mounts on my Cruiser at 55,000 - maybe a bit early, but they were a little worn. Haven't done the bushings yet - they show wear, but not enough to replace.
Old 06 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The rocking motion seems to only occur when he shifts gears, not at take-off, which is why I suspect a tire/rim problem. But I was wondering if the bushing being gone might cause this. Also, I failed to mention that the fiance's dad said it's probably the strut bar (autozone said somewhere in the neighborhood of $80 for one). Also, when we had the front tires off, we noticed that someone had apparently over tightened one of the lugs, and actually broke the threaded part off of the hub, on the drivers side. Would that maybe cause it?

Edit: The car has 131k miles on it.
Old 06 Mar 2012, 01:47 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

With 131000 miles, did the previous owner change the timing belt ? I hope he did, otherwise you are talking big $$$ there.....Also, is a good time to replace motor mounts, control arms, tie rod ends and sway bar bushings...That's normal maintenance on a PT Cruiser
Old 06 Mar 2012, 01:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

We're not exactly sure how the word 'rocking' is applied here.

I'm not sure what the strut bar is.

Sounds like theres a groove in the rotor.

I'd suggest two things;

do a visual on each of these items; none of these items require any training to visually diagnose. feel free to post pictures, and ask the shop to explain exactly what the strut bars is, then google and link a picture.
Crusier and Harry's comments should be followed closely, they've seen that item about a million times.
You can download the parts manual, there's a link to it in my signature-
This way you can name each part.

Last, get the guy a set of 'booger bushings' from e-bay (sounds like he has a manual) and have them installed- don't tell him and see what he says!!!
Old 06 Mar 2012, 02:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

And extreme, too! Sorry, I was typing while you posted
Old 06 Mar 2012, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't know if the timing belt was replaced, but I know when we got the car, there was an old tie rod end in the back hatch, where one of them had been replaced, and the old one looked pretty rough.

And when I was saying rocking, it like..tries to go forward but hesitates..so its like a rocking forwards and backwards, then it'll go, and the car runs fine. But the rocking motion is only occurring when switching gears. He knows he's shifting correctly, and I had an ex of mine who didn't shift correctly in a '88 Mazda (either 323 or 626) and it would jump, and make terrible sounds, but thats NOT the case with the PT. It isn't the motor rocking, its the entire car, which is why I was suspecting the tires.

And yes, its a manual(5 speed). Unless you were referring to the manual thats supposed to be in the glove box, if you were, then I can tell you that the book is not in the car at all (I searched).

And all I know is that the fiance's dad said it was a strut/strut bar. I have no clue what they're talking about there!
Old 06 Mar 2012, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

By the way, is there a way I can look at the motor mounts and tell if they're bad? (I know thats probably a dumb question) But if there is, what should I look for, I did find Kawiz's video on how to change the upper motor mount. Would the part (if bad) have dents/chunks missing?