PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake Light Condensation/Tail Light Replacement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2012, 11:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Brake Light Condensation/Tail Light Replacement?

We recently had the yearly inspection, and they said they had to replace 3 light bulbs (paperwork doesn't say where they put them). I hadn't seen any lights out prior to going, but I hadn't made a point of checking, so couldn't refute it.

A few days later, I noticed the passenger side brake light was out (the turning signal worked). I also noticed condensation in the area where the turning signal bulb would be (but not in the brake light compartment). We took the light off the car and found the bulb was broken. It did not look like a new bulb. We replaced the bulb, and it's working fine now. I don't know if the light was out from the time we left the shop, or if it broke later.

I am going to keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. If it does, am I looking at replacing the whole tail light? If so, are they expensive? Is it something someone with limited car knowledge can do, or is it something the dealer needs to do?

EDIT: Just saw another thread with a link to a tail light on ebay, so not too expensive, and seems super easy to replace!

Last edited by NewPTCruiserInPA; 12 Mar 2012 at 11:22 am.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 11:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Brake Light Condensation/Tail Light Replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPTCruiserInPA View Post
We recently had the yearly inspection, and they said they had to replace 3 light bulbs (paperwork doesn't say where they put them). I hadn't seen any lights out prior to going, but I hadn't made a point of checking, so couldn't refute it.

A few days later, I noticed the passenger side brake light was out (the turning signal worked). I also noticed condensation in the area where the turning signal bulb would be (but not in the brake light compartment). We took the light off the car and found the bulb was broken. It did not look like a new bulb. We replaced the bulb, and it's working fine now. I don't know if the light was out from the time we left the shop, or if it broke later.

I am going to keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. If it does, am I looking at replacing the whole tail light? If so, are they expensive? Is it something someone with limited car knowledge can do, or is it something the dealer needs to do?

EDIT: Just saw another thread with a link to a tail light on ebay, so not too expensive, and seems super easy to replace!
Well replacing tail lights could be done by someone and of course the presence of a repair manual. I've replaced bulbs so many times and it's just about resourcefulness on how you would do it. On the other hand, it's your right to question the dealership unless the warranty expires.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 09:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

I see your post has been out for a bit so perhaps your problem is solved but I found out with my cruiser I had to remove both of the lens covers and I dried them out with a hair dryer, while that was going on I cut out gasket material and put an adhesive on it to hold to the car. I put the cover back on and tightened it down real well. So far so good.. That was 4 months ago. I got nailed for a tail light out on the way home one night, and I had just washed the car in a car wash and the officier could clearly see the soap bubbles in it. That was my repair and it worked.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Uh, gee, to replace the tail lights is one screw per light, then lift it out and unplug it! Don't think you need a manual for that. Personally, I'm baking my lights apart so that I can clean the interior. I failed my inspection due to condensation in the tail lights. Go figure, and mine are those almost $300 Bermuda Blacks, second pair already. Good thing is that you can bake apart your tail lights, clean the interior, then seal them back. Not that difficult to do, just time consuming.

Now one piece of advice to give to everyone who pulls their tail light out - get you that silver aluminum tape that is used to join air conditioner ducts and clean out the area under the tail light. Seal off the area, leaving one hole to allow any liquids to drain out. Those areas are right behind your rear tire and get water thrown up in them all the time.