PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Parts store has wrong part # for radiator fan?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Parts store has wrong part # for radiator fan?

I have searched the forum for this issue and have come across some similar problems but not the exact one, so hopefully this isn't to redundant.

I have had an ongoing radiator fan problem, thanks to the help of this forum I can now take apart and assemble the front of my car in my sleep.

The first radiator fan I bought came in and when I went to put it in, the electrical plug was wrong. So, I took it up to the parts store and they confirmed that that fan is what they had listed for a 2006 Base model PT Cruiser. But even so, it does not fit my car.

After looking through other models we finally saw a picture of a fan that looked to have the right plug, but it was the fan for a 2005 Turbo. I ordered that fan in, and tonight I tore the car part again and pulled the fan out to install it and low and behold the cage was cracked. Lesson learned about inspecting parts before taking car apart. Needless to say I could not use the fan.

My question is this. Has anyone ever experienced the wrong radiator fan being listed? Using the provided parts list on here I found the OEM 05179470AA and it cross references to yet another number. So, I am sitting here thinking that when my new fan gets here it is still going to be wrong because it is one from a Turbo, but the plug looks to fit mine.

If it bolts up and it plugs in, is there any harm in using it? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 11:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Parts store has wrong part # for radiator fan?

Can't offer much specific to the Cruiser but I can offer a story about chasing a fuel pump all over Alabama.

Went to my usual parts store that had served me well for years to pick up a fuel pump for a 2000 Cavalier. Got it home to find the line connections didn't work with what was on the car. So I took it back and received the suggestion that I "make it fit" using some shrink tube.

Needless to say I backed away quickly. Went to a competing store and asked about the fuel pump. They brought out exactly the same manufacturer and had exactly the same wrong ends on it. So, exit stage right....

Went down the street to the next competitor and asked about the fuel pump. At that point I was having a rerun of a bad dream. Same box, Same manufacturer, Same wrong fittings......

Explained my predicament to the reasonably intelligent-looking counter dude and he went diving in the back for the next higher price point that's sold to the pros. Funny how for another $40.00 it was correct.

BTW, Autozone, Advance Auto and Orielly Auto in that order.