PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Keep breaking strut mount.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2012, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Keep breaking strut mount.....

Background:
2002 dream cruiser, new eibach drop, kyb all four corners.
New lower control arms, new inner and outer tie rods, new front wheel bearings and hubs.
Perfect alignment, all four wheels balance perfect.
Fd strut brace installed.

Here is my issue....
I have a very bad shake in the steering wheel between about 47 and 80 mph. I have tried three sets of rims/ tires and it doesn't change. I have also broken two new strut mounts on the right front strut in the last 1000 miles. And I just noticed yesterday that the right lower motor mount I replaced while out doing the lca is also now broken!

I saw a post somewhere on here where there is a way to align the strut mounts, is this what may be causing all my grief?, and how is it done? I searched to no avail on here, I am new so don't flame me please if there is info on here I somehow missed!

Any help at all would be awesome as I am at a point where I am getting tired of taking the strut on and off!!!!
And thank you!!!
Old 17 Mar 2012, 09:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Keep breaking strut mount.....

There is an active topic in this section of the forum as we speak. It's called "Changed Motor Mounts Engine Shakes".

Check it out. All three pages ....

However, if you're actually breaking your motor struts, then I'd bet on a broken center motor mount.

Tim
Old 17 Mar 2012, 09:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The motor mount was just a side note. After reading some more on here I think it may be due to the fact that it's an anchor. My main concern is the upper strut mount on the suspension.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh yeah and the motor mount that is breaking is the pencil strut.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 10:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I had a problem with a strut mount too. The white plastic bearing was breaking because I installed it wrong.

BTW, what part of NY?
Old 17 Mar 2012, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have replace the upper and lower motor mounts on my car four times. The forth time I replace the upper motor mount, the center motor mount, lower mount and the transmission mount. Took me and friend about 5 hours to replace the center motor mount.It was a pain, a get a headache just thinking about it. I would suggest to replace all four at the same time it will definitely help. If you havent replace the timing belt, the tensioner, and the water pump and the other belts might as well do it when replacing the center mount
Old 18 Mar 2012, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreamer View Post
I have replace the upper and lower motor mounts on my car four times. The forth time I replace the upper motor mount, the center motor mount, lower mount and the transmission mount. Took me and friend about 5 hours to replace the center motor mount.It was a pain, a get a headache just thinking about it. I would suggest to replace all four at the same time it will definitely help. If you havent replace the timing belt, the tensioner, and the water pump and the other belts might as well do it when replacing the center mount
I think they are talking about the shock (strut) upper bearing. I know to many struts to keep up with.