PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Cheapest Cost of Fan Control Module Replacement??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2012, 09:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Cheapest Cost of Fan Control Module Replacement??

Took the car to the dealer today to see why the car stumbles in idle with the air on, and as I suspected, the fan control module is not working. They say it will be $730 to replace it and clean the throttle body, on top of the $105 we paid to have it diagnosed! So around $835.

Does this price quoted by the dealer seem reasonable or is this excessive? I know the last time the fan control module went on it (in 2010), it was less than $600.

Is this kind of repair something that has to be done at a dealer, or can any mechanic do it? And would it be a regular mechanic, or does it have to be an A/C mechanic? What would you expect to pay someone who was not a dealer?

Does anyone have a model number or name for the parts needed to replace the fan control module? Would it be cheaper to buy the parts myself and take them to a mechanic (do they do that?)?

Does anyone know any repair guys in Allentown, PA? I don't even know how to go about finding a mechanic other than looking in the phone book and taking my chances on not getting ripped off...

Last edited by NewPTCruiserInPA; 19 Mar 2012 at 11:00 am.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 11:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Cheapest Cost of Fan Control Module Replacement??

That doesnt sound quite right, I dont like their diagnoses.
Past experiance tells me the high speed of your coolant fan may have died and you should check to see if it is going into high speed before spending $600+ on a $100 problem and not correcting it.
Normally when you turn on your AC the high speed of the coolant fan will come on and your coolant fan will run faster.
What I am saying is normally it is the high speed side that fails and getting a new fan motor usually fixes the problem.
Just a couple of things to check first.
Let the car idle with the ac off and listen to the electric fan when its running.
Now turn the ac on. Did you hear a change in the coolant fan speed?
If not, check the electrical connecters comming from the fan and see if you have the correct power there.
If it all checks, you need a new fan motor.

Some one else can explain why the car stumbles when this happens....
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, PT Dream wheels, K&N drop in air filter, Exide Orbital Purple Haze 34XCD battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Where should I be looking to find the fan under the hood? Are you able to see it move without having to take anything apart? I never look under there, lol...
Old 19 Mar 2012, 01:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

When I lived in Altoona PA I always got my service done when id travel.

No offence to anyone here but i find that the folks up in pa were just always so expensive, its a group of white guys who feel they should squeeze whatever they can out of customers. And there just wasnt any pricing competition because of all the wrenching white dudes! I come here to nc and the small mechanic shops have one guy that speaks english, hes the one who rings you up and tells you whats wrong. The rest of the guys are latino, they are working for a fair price and hard to provide food for their families. Also they know what theyre doing, faster repair times and more cost effective.

Got drywall work done one time, called around for estimates. First guy to come was a white dude who babbled on and on about what hed have to do and how hed do it. Next guy was a man names jose, he came out, looked at my walls and said a price. His price was half of the other mans without me even saying what the other guy wanted. Both business' were licensed and insured and jose did exactly what the other guy said hed do.

White man cant jump and white man charge too much!

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 20 Mar 2012, 12:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Would you consider 'Coolant Temp Fan Assembly' the same thing as part #5179470-AA?

I got the paperwork from the dealer and they list out the job as "Coolant Temp Fan Assembly" $589 + tax. No part number, but when we had this problem in 2010, the invoice shows this #:

Part #5179470-AA FAN RADIA 7002002

I did an online search for part #5179470-AA, and it seems there is an after-market version of this part (here's an example):

06-10 Chrysler PT Cruiser Radiator Cooling Fan Assembly [CRUISER] 5179470AA

Many places, including ebay, have it for less than $100.

I am thinking if I buy this part myself, I can find someone to put it in for cheaper than what the dealer charges.

If you were doing this job yourself, is this the part you'd use to fix 'Coolant Temp Fan Assembly'? Would there be any other parts required besides this one?

Thanks!
Old 21 Mar 2012, 07:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

New PT, your problem is twofold: first, those mechanics are ripoffs. They know full well that PT Cruisers are absolutely notorious for having lousy fans. Plus, the "engine stumble" at idle was a dead-ringer symptom. So the amount they charged you for diagnosis was over the top.

Secondly, the fan's price is way out of line--even for a dealer, selling you an OEM fan (not that their fan is any better than an aftermarket). Besides, you can get a good fan far, far cheaper at RockAuto (Google them), or Ebay. Many Cruiser on this forum have purchased these fans and done the work themselves. There is a how-to "sticky" on this forum that walks you through the process. It's very easy.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 21 Mar 2012, 07:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

New PT, I forgot to mention that, although the radiator fan cools your engine coolant, it also cools your A/C high pressure line, via the A/C condensor (but only at idle and very low speeds). Don't be alarmed! You don't have to mess with the A/C system, at all, when changing the fan. When you're at idle (and the A/C is on) and your fan is not working up to snuff, your high-side A/C pressure builds up too much, due to the fan not being able to cool the A/C (I'll call it freon). This condition makes the engine have to run much harder at idle. Only it's not programmed to do so. What makes your engine idle properly, doesn't know you have a busted fan. So it's like running up the stairs, as opposed to walking down them. Lots more work.

Get the new fan in and the problem will disappear.

Tim
Old 17 May 2012, 10:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Talking Re: Cheapest Cost of Fan Control Module Replacement??

The OEM fan on my 2006 PT was replaced by the dealer in 2009. It has failed again. The price for the stock fan, 5179470AA, is $292 at the dealer, plus a couple hours labor, tax and disposal of materials. The price quoted was around $700.

I have found a replacement made by Dorman, which is a renowned aftermarket manufacturer. The Dorman fan assembly, 620-052, is available for $102.70 on line, depending where you find it. They advertise a lifetime warranty.
Old 17 May 2012, 09:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Get the Dorman fan and do the job yourself, following the directions in the How To's of this forum. $700.00 is a complete rip-off for one hour's labor.

Tim
Old 17 May 2012, 09:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
The OEM fan on my 2006 PT was replaced by the dealer in 2009. It has failed again. The price for the stock fan, 5179470AA, is $292 at the dealer, plus a couple hours labor, tax and disposal of materials. The price quoted was around $700.

I have found a replacement made by Dorman, which is a renowned aftermarket manufacturer. The Dorman fan assembly, 620-052, is available for $102.70 on line, depending where you find it. They advertise a lifetime warranty.
WOW!

What 'disposal' of materials is there really, nitrile gloves?

Seriously though, it's easy. Buy a replacement fan (50 to 80 bucks depending where you buy it from) and do it yourself. In fact, I just wrote a How-To on replacing the radiator this morning which also included the removal of the fan. Feel free to check it out.

Edit: Here's the link - How to; Remove Radiator

No, you don't have to perform everything shown. Just read and you'll see what is actually required on your end for removal of the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!