Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Wheel bearing replacement problems....need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2012, 01:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik
Default Wheel bearing replacement problems....need help

Alrighty so my friend and I worked on replacing my front driver's side wheel bearing on my pt cruiser. To do this involves taking the front knuckle off the car, and then going to a place and have them press the hub out and then press the old wheel bearing out and then do everything in reverse with a new wheel bearing.
potential problems arise when running on a bad wheel bearing for a long time noramlly this involves the hub part being damaged and also needing to be replaced.

I took my knuckle off which only took about 45 minutes.
we drove down to pep boys because they one had a wheel bearing in stock and two said they could press the bearings for us.

Get down there and they press the bearing out but part of the outside bearing race stayed inside the knuckle assembly. Either (pep boys answer) that because running on a damaged wheel bearing the race got so hot that it basically fused to the knuckle or Pep boys used a press adapter that was not wide enough and only pressed out the center part of the bearing.
either way I am now stuck without a car and a knuckle that has a pressed in bearing race stuck in it.

I am wondering if any of my mechanical friends know of an idea to get said race out of the knuckle or if anyone knows of a place in san diego that can get the race out of the knuckle (will need contact info for said place). If said place is not open on a sunday that is alright I will figure something out on monday.

Let me know asap with any and all ideas.
Thank you ahead of time.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 25 Mar 2012, 05:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Wheel bearing replacement problems....need help

can you use a chisel or something similiar to split the race to pull it out?
Old 25 Mar 2012, 06:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Do you have a dremel tool with small carbide cutting wheel, just slit a diagnol cut across the inner part of the race, this will be like relief. Take a couple 2x4 scraps and get a big socket or pipe stock matching the OD of the race and pound it out.

Myself, I wouldnt go to pep boys and I would of spent the money on a Mopar bearing. then just brought it down to local delear and have them do the press operation.

I wouldnt trust a pep boy bearing and talking to a guy (Engineer for a bearing OEM) he said buy a factory bearing since most of the OEM's now have one factory in the US to make the OEM stuff and another in China to make the part store product so they can compete. If you go part store, I guess Timken, SKF, national are your best gamble but any no name your taking your chances.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
Old 25 Mar 2012, 10:19 am
Regular Cruiser

ourPTGT
we are trying things similar to that but the unforunate thing is there is no place to really get a chisel to grab hold of while we pound it.

VNT
normally I wouldn't trust pep boys but this seemed like something so simple.
I mean I did most of the work for them took the knuckle off and brought it to them all I needed them for was the press (which if I had one I would've done it myself).
I have been driving on a bad wheeling bearing though for a long time. so their story that it fused in because of my not getitng it replaced sooner could be true.
and the part I got is SKF
I went with pep boys because I do not have another mode of transportation (I did not know if my friend was going to be able to come help me with the project until I got into it) and they were litterally just down the street from my place.
The first place I wanted to go works on alot of european cars but unforuntely they didn't want to touch it unless they were the one doing the entire job...I unforunately do not have 300+ bucks to give a shop to do one bearing.

Things that we have tried was cutting a section in the race to get a punch/chisel something to hold on to while pounding....no go.
we are going to try the cutting diagnolly through it though but the dremel ran out of power and it was getting late. (we started on the project at 3...should've been done with it by like 5 or 6...but of course murphy had to poke his nose into our buisness)
LOL we even straight hit it with a hammer to try and jar it loose...come so pieces to fly off of it.
We also tried heating it with a propane torch and rapidly cooling with ice.
eventually due to it getting after 9 we had to stop to be nice to neighbors.

Last edited by srebik; 25 Mar 2012 at 10:26 am.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 10:26 am
Senior Cruiser

I have to do the bearing on one of mine, I'll order a mopar bearing and bring it over to the CDJ dealer where my pal works, pay them a few bucks to swap it.

I dont understand how Manny Moe or jack cant get the outer race out of the knuckle, with a 20 ton press and the correct OD insert to match the race I would think it wouldnt be a big deal, but maybe you got Moe Larry and Curly instead

00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
Old 26 Mar 2012, 10:28 am
Regular Cruiser

VNT
maybe.

but anyways with much cutting and pounding my friend while I was at work was able to get the race out.

Being sunday it was the only shop open in the area we took it back to pep boys.

I'm going to go ride my bike down there and pick up the park in a few minutes and hopefully get everything reassembled before I have work today at 1 pm.

sucks that it rained all night so it nice and wet outside and it lok slike it threatening to rain again....ohh joy LOL.

Old 26 Mar 2012, 01:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sorry to hear that, oh the joys of having one car!

00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
Old 26 Mar 2012, 01:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I don't have a press, I cut 100% of them off w/ dremel.

I guess you figured that out, though ...