Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clutch Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2012, 07:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Clutch Question

Getting ready to do the big Turbo Conversion to Pepe' - While I'm switching Engines, I figure I may as well replace the clutch.

Any suggestions for a good quality replacement? I'm seeing the LUK kits on EBay pretty reasonable. (I think that's what is in it now.) I'd really like to go with a Centerforce, but outside my budget right now...

Just looking for the best bang for the buck.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks, Gary.

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 07:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Clutch Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDucky View Post
Getting ready to do the big Turbo Conversion to Pepe' - While I'm switching Engines, I figure I may as well replace the clutch.

Any suggestions for a good quality replacement? I'm seeing the LUK kits on EBay pretty reasonable. (I think that's what is in it now.) I'd really like to go with a Centerforce, but outside my budget right now...

Just looking for the best bang for the buck.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks, Gary.
Centerforce is okay if you want to go Stage 2 or higher. Problem I had with the Centerforce clutch is it's like seriously no good in traffic. You will get worn out with that thing, you'll be standing on that clutch pedal way too much and you'll find that from press in to release you get about 1" of pedal and damn it will jump out from under you. I almost hit the back end of three cars at stop lights before I finally got used to it. Good thing it wasn't my car, I wouldn't want that in mine. If you're not racing your PT, I suggest the LUK, first it's German made and is the same main clutch assembly used on that Mercedes two-seater SLK. Second it's got higher HP and torque ratings than the factory clutch. One thing you'll immediately see is that you have a LOT of clutch pedal. When I bought my PT it had maybe 2" of pedal, meaning I press in 2" and the clutch is pulled away from the flywheel. On this new LUK I have it took me almost a month to get used to it, but man oh man is it a great clutch. Mine is a stage 2 LUK ordered direct from Germany with a custom flywheel kit added on.

Oh, that's another thing, you can't reface your flywheel, so be VERY careful when you order an LUK clutch kit. Make sure it's a full kit, to include the TOB, hydraulics, flywheel and all. Mine, they advertised it as complete and it even stated it came with a flywheel, but when received there was no flywheel and when we contacted them at their factory they apologized and stated this model (stage 2) doesn't come with the flywheel. We demanded to speak with their GM and he put together a custom flywheel for me and shipped it, only charge was shipping, since their add was incorrect.

If you drop the clutch on this thing, it's like getting hit in the lower back with a sledge hammer! I'm actually more concerned that my front end parts won't handle that amount of instant power, so I'm trying to be careful with it. One hell of a tough clutch!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

PT's only came with modular clutches-

Everyone uses the OE PT Clutch in Neons, a few experimented with an
Audi cover (You'll need a '95 Neon flywheel) and cut down SRT-4 clutches.

I don't believe anyone Mods the SRT anymore for the PT/PL trans.

Centerforce was complete junk- dozens and dozens of complaints.
Even extremely expensive aftermarkets turned out to be complete garbage.
The same guys would go back to the OE clutch and have no problems.

Stick with OE, Chrome seems to have found a good vendor for OE style.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 03:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
PT's only came with modular clutches-

Everyone uses the OE PT Clutch in Neons, a few experimented with an
Audi cover (You'll need a '95 Neon flywheel) and cut down SRT-4 clutches.

I don't believe anyone Mods the SRT anymore for the PT/PL trans.

Centerforce was complete junk- dozens and dozens of complaints.
Even extremely expensive aftermarkets turned out to be complete garbage.
The same guys would go back to the OE clutch and have no problems.

Stick with OE, Chrome seems to have found a good vendor for OE style.
Hmmm, that's interesting. I've got a Centerforce in my Rampage, and it's been great. They must have made a change for the worse... I've contacted the Luk guys to get more info. I'm kinda gonna have a mix of stuff - An '03 Turbo Engine, and an '05 T-350 trans. I'm not real sure what to buy just yet.

-Gary-

Old 28 Mar 2012, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDucky View Post
Hmmm, that's interesting. I've got a Centerforce in my Rampage, and it's been great. They must have made a change for the worse... I've contacted the Luk guys to get more info. I'm kinda gonna have a mix of stuff - An '03 Turbo Engine, and an '05 T-350 trans. I'm not real sure what to buy just yet.

-Gary-
why go with the T350? Why not the G288? The Getrag is well known for being rock solid, the only weakness being the clutch assembly. The T350, on the other hand, is not a good tranny to stand up to the turbo engine. Which '03 turbo and you getting - HO turbo or turbo-lite??? If it's an engine from a touring edition, then you're okay with the T350. Also, there are a LOT of junk clutch kits out there for the T350 - it's a more well-known tranny and you can find kits all over the place for it. However, stay away from any that you can't find any good info on. Gotta figure, even if it's got a good warranty, getting the clutch out if it fails is a total PITA. I went with LUK because they are well known for solid clutch kits, plus they provide custom clutch assemblies to many sports models out there.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 09:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
why go with the T350? Why not the G288? The Getrag is well known for being rock solid, the only weakness being the clutch assembly. The T350, on the other hand, is not a good tranny to stand up to the turbo engine. Which '03 turbo and you getting - HO turbo or turbo-lite??? If it's an engine from a touring edition, then you're okay with the T350. Also, there are a LOT of junk clutch kits out there for the T350 - it's a more well-known tranny and you can find kits all over the place for it. However, stay away from any that you can't find any good info on. Gotta figure, even if it's got a good warranty, getting the clutch out if it fails is a total PITA. I went with LUK because they are well known for solid clutch kits, plus they provide custom clutch assemblies to many sports models out there.
I've got the '03 HO Engine. Why the t350? Because I've got one laying in my garage. If I can find a "reasonable" G288, I'll swap it out later. I'm old enough (smart enough) to not abuse the tranny, so it should hold up for quite a while. When you have to fix all the things you break yourself, you learn how to drive hard without abusing stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's got a Luk clutch in it now, and it's been great. So I'll probably stay with them.

Thanks for the info.

-Gary-

Old 28 Mar 2012, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good point Gary. I'm the same way - seems I don't learn well from what other's say, and always have to learn things the hard way. Ever since I was a kid, my entire family used to mutter that. D@mnedstubbornhardheadedidiot....LMAO!
Old 28 Mar 2012, 10:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

forgot to mention the 2.7 clutch-

T-350 is light and it works (in Neons) people put alot of power through it.

I worry about the extra chassis weight, but we're not hearing any complaints.