PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

clutch going out. need help finding a new one thats right

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2012, 02:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default clutch going out. need help finding a new one thats right

Well like the title says. I believe my clutch is going out. Noticed when I was shifting it to 2nd heard a slight grinding noise and my clutch is getting stiffer. So looking to get a new one. But I'm not looking to get one from a lcal part store. There to expensive so I'm wanting to get one offline. Can you guys help me find the one that'll be best. 2.4na
Old 30 Mar 2012, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: clutch going out. need help finding a new one thats right

chromenut can give you a lot of good info on clutches im sure he will be around soon
Old 30 Mar 2012, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm working right now but will be back in a couple of hours. Depends on your budget, what you're willing to spend. I can get you a good price on a good clutch, but the install is the part that can get expensive. Also, depending on the clutch kit, you need to make sure it come's complete! That means not just a clutch, but the hydraulics, TOB, clutch assembly, and flywheel. You can't polish the flywheel on these PT's, it's not made in a manner where you can save it. As to the grinding noise, that is normally the TOB going out. If you're not feeling slippage, then your clutch may be okay and you might be able to get away with just buying the TOB.

I've got to go but will be back later. If you're looking for a used assembly, I might be able to point you in the right direction. Personally, I'd never put a used one in my car regardless of my budget.

If you look up LUK, you will see one of the best OEM style clutch assemblies out their. I just put one in my car about a month ago, but mine is a customized Stage 2 LUK with custom flywheel assembly, so I paid more than you will if you just want the standard.

Oh, by the way, I need to know, do you have a T350 or G288 tranny? The T350 has reverse down to the right while the G288 is up to the left. I can tell you that the T350 clutch is WAY cheaper than the G288. I saw one just a few weeks ago for $380 for the entire kit, which is a friggin fabulous price.

Oh, also meant to mention - have you looked at your bushings? The bushings on the tranny housing under your battery, if they go they can grind against the tranny case and feels like the TOB is going out. I tell everyone - before you spend the money do two things, lift up your center console and check the bushings on your shift lever. Then pull the battery and mount out, and check the bushings at the end of the cables on the tranny case. I just posted a thread about how to get to those bushings, someone else was talking about shifter problems, like not going into reverse or something like that.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!

Last edited by Chromenut; 30 Mar 2012 at 03:05 pm.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 03:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's the thread - you can look at my bushings in the pictures. The factory bushings were not in bad shape, but the hole where they slipped over the pin was getting out of round and they were slipping off. I hit third at the race track and popped a cable off, scared the living youknowhat out of me!!!

Luckily an easy fix, just popped it back on, but went the next day over to PTCrew and ordered me some Booger Bushings - WELL WORTH EVERY DIME!

Shifting Problems

When you look at the photos in this thread, notice the center holes on factory versus Boogers and you can see why they were coming off.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 30 Mar 2012, 03:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

I do know I need new bushings. Just haven't gotten around to it. The cable connecting to the tranny can slip off. Nothins holding it down but that was the first thing I checked hoping maybe it had slipped off a lil causing it to not grab all the waY or something but it was all good and as to the tranny type. I'll find out in a few. Left my car at the house and out right now. And the money situation, I'm not really wanting to spend more then 500-600 for the clutch kit. But now that yiu mention throw out bearing how or is there a way to see? In the mornings after sitting all night it shifts a lil rougher for a few miles then all is good. I'm pushing 136xxx original clutch.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 04:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

The 350 is what's in mine
Old 30 Mar 2012, 04:09 pm
Young Cruiser

i just replaced my clutch, i oredered a luks clutch kit off of e-bay, i paid $215 which included shipping, i notice today the price dropped down to $195 with shipping included, i also got lazy and had a local shop install it, that cost was $250 which included 2 qts of mopar gear lube for the transaxle.
the luks clutch works and feels exactly like the ome clutch, i can't tell the difference except now the transmission seems to shift a little smoother
Old 30 Mar 2012, 04:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you knwo if you are going through the hassle and expense of getting to the throw out bering there is NO was id not do the cluch cause you WILL be back kind of like doing a timing belt and not a water pump its not a good idea do it all the complete assembly has everything--im not sure if it includes the slave cylender or if the slave cylender is on the inside or outside but id do it all at the same time
Old 30 Mar 2012, 04:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Oh don't worry I'm doing it all. Found one on ebay. Calling a few places to see how much to install. Thought it sounded cool to spend less but then I started thinking I'm gonna be back in there later so once the members said which brand to look for and that there good I started looking on ebay. About how long will it last till it goes completely out on me? Have 2 jobs and drive maybe 20 miles total a day. This is my only car felt cool last night with new antenna. Ask me if I feel cool now lol
Old 30 Mar 2012, 04:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

This is the one I'm looking at getting. Didn't see the one for 195. But just wanna make sure I'm getting the correct part
LUK OE OEM CLUTCH KIT+FLYWHEEL SET 2001-2006 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L NON-TURBO | eBay