Advertisements
03 Drum Brake Setup Q's

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrbsr05pt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2012, 11:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 03 Drum Brake Setup Q's

here it is. . . I have looked all over the web and in repair manuals and Im stumped. Its almost as if the rear drum assembly including springs are from a completely different car, other than mine. The photos of original setups is vastly different from how mine is. Ill be post a photo of it come sometime later in the day near the noon hours. Its like everyone else is avoiding the 03 series and has every other year. what gives?

Question is, I had to install brand new spring kits so far just the right rear but, I am stumped with the above I cant find an image or step by step mainly for my own conscience...damn the A.d.d. My setup doesn't operate by means of the A line spring set up from above.

Enjoy your day or whats left of it, or enjoy the start depending on where you guys are at.

Last edited by Ptcruisershort; 02 Apr 2012 at 11:06 pm.
Old 02 Apr 2012, 11:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Drum Brake Setup Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptcruisershort View Post
here it is. . . I have looked all over the web and in repair manuals and Im stumped. Its almost as if the rear drum assembly including springs are from a completely different car, other than mine. The photos of original setups is vastly different from how mine is. Ill be post a photo of it come sometime later in the day near the noon hours. Its like everyone else is avoiding the 03 series and has every other year. what gives?

Enjoy your day or whats left of it, or enjoy the start depending on where you guys are at.
What is your question?
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 02 Apr 2012, 11:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm used to working on vehicles other than cruisers. Im just wanting to make sure I got everything right in the means of spring set up and location. From what I can see as I "edited" the original msg, is that it looks like a different cars rear set up. I cant find any images matching the drum brake set up which my car has. cant seem to find anything of use online. It frustrating.
Old 02 Apr 2012, 11:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I always just take both sides drums off then do one at a time and if I forget where the springs go I just look at the other side. That's my 2 cents. But take a pic when you can. If it stops with no noises and stops like new brakes should then all should be good. You cant really put drum brakes back together wrong and them work. Its like puzzle pieces
UptownSport likes this.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 02 Apr 2012, 11:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I got ya on that. I just replaced the front pads not that long ago now the "Screaming Sensor" the warning clip thingy that is supposed to sound when the brakes are worn down some how is going off and they are brand spankin new with major material on them still. my guess is the rotors need to be replaced. they are warped a bit and Im guessing that can contribute to the squealing. right ? Ill take a pic when the ass hole posts in the morning ... oh yeah its called the sun. Sorry, its late and car issues piss me off fafa.
Old 03 Apr 2012, 12:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Here's some Neon Drums, if it helps. The adjuster, tin piece and it's spring aren't installed yet,
But should be similar:
Doug's Rear Drums picture by newtoCA - Photobucket

Hopefully you can see them in link, pic just went dead?

and bend the little squeal thing back, they sometimes are misformed
Old 03 Apr 2012, 07:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As far as the "anti-rattle" clip on the front discs, they can be put on wrong so that might be your problem with the noise.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 06 Apr 2012, 07:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the ( Neon ) setup. However, this will force me to take photos of my brake setup.. Its not like any PtC Ive ever seen. Ive seen set ups like it on other cars. I already put a new spring hardware kit on the right side ( back ) need to do the same for the ( Back Left ). Faulty Master brake cylinder. Ill post them when I have time to do so. Im hoping for tomorrow. Thanks guys.
Old 07 Apr 2012, 02:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I have the '01-'03 FSM- It's the exact picture as used on Neon.
I'd strongly doubt there is anything unusual about PT Drums, unless someone changed them, and that seems unlikely.
They do re-use drawings in FSM's, but I strongly doubt they'd do so if there was a huge discrepency