Advertisements
New to forum, need serious help w/ Cylinder 2 and 3 Misfire

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2012, 11:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New to forum, need serious help w/ Cylinder 2 and 3 Misfire

Hello.

I drive a 2006 base Cruiser with just over 50k miles. I just paid it off and it has ran great until now. The check engine light came on soon afterwards and I had it checked at AutoZone. The check engine light was for a cylinder 2 misfire and unanimous advice was to change the plugs and wires. While I waited for them to arrive the car started idling very low/rough and kept trying to quit. It used to idle around 1100 but now idles at almost 500. Also the check engine light started to ding and blink occasionally. I changed the plugs and wires and it didn't help at all. I took it back to AutoZone to get the codes checked again and now it was reading a cylinder 2 AND 3 misfire. Seeing as cylinders 2 and 3 are on the same coil on the ignition coil I figured that was the problem. I just replaced it about 20 minutes ago and it did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

Before all this I ran a bottle of Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner through my car because I had just gotten an oil change. The check engine light came on about a week later. After some research I had found other people having a similar problem. Initially in cylinder 2 and everything AFTER using Lucas. Before ordering the ignition coil and finding out about the second misfire I had ordered a new fuel injector for cylinder 2 thinking the Lucas product had clogged the injector or kicked something up in the system and deposited it in the injector and planned on replacing it. However even if that's the problem I need a second fuel injector.

Lastly, I've noticed that upon initial start-up I hear an audible liquid sound. Like something is draining. Also after changing the coil today and standing on the drivers side of the car I got a severe whiff of gasoline and noticed the exhaust pipe was vibrating a lot, along with the engine which I presume is due to the low idle.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04 Apr 2012, 01:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: New to forum, need serious help w/ Cylinder 2 and 3 Misfire

I'd focus on low idle-

These vehicles will attempt to 'save' the engine during overheat by dropping idle as low as possible.
This will also occur if it believes it's overheating.
IDK if it's diff than Neon, but there's a diff sensor for gauge than PCM- So you can't rely on the dash.

Second thought turns to the AIS- It may have failed, passage plugged, or wires broken.

I understand the urge to replace coil, but they're pretty good units, as
you've found- The Chrysler pro Neon racer used an entirely custom
transmission, valvetrain, but a stock coil!

If you suspect fuel injectors- You can swap cylinder to cylinder.

Good things to put in fuel tank:
Gasoline
Alcohol

Bad things:
Everything else

Gasoline is some very, very wicked stuff- It'll get out stains that 'detergent' won't.
Alcohol will suck up any water, and it's safe enough to drink- relatively speaking
Old 04 Apr 2012, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When I first started reading I immediately thought of a vacuum leak but then after reading more, it sounds more involved than that.

You didn't know, until now that another coil wasn't going to fix anything. Been on the forum for 10 years and a new coil never helped anyone. Its probably the best built piece of equipment on the cruiser.

My suggestion is for you to get a combustion pressure/leak test and also have your coolant tested for combustion gases. I may be wrong and going for an overkill of what's wrong (hope so) but you seem to have more than a simple vacuum leak.

You might want to wait to get other opinions from the forum. I'm not a mechanic.

Uptown beat me to it. He's very knowledgeable on these engines.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 04 Apr 2012, 01:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
I'd focus on low idle-

These vehicles will attempt to 'save' the engine during overheat by dropping idle as low as possible.
This will also occur if it believes it's overheating.
IDK if it's diff than Neon, but there's a diff sensor for gauge than PCM- So you can't rely on the dash.

Second thought turns to the AIS- It may have failed, passage plugged, or wires broken.
I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you're saying. What's a PCM and AIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
My suggestion is for you to get a combustion pressure/leak test and also have your coolant tested for combustion gases. I may be wrong and going for an overkill of what's wrong (hope so) but you seem to have more than a simple vacuum leak.
I see. I'm assuming I could get these things tested at most auto shops? I'm not very knowledgeable about any of these things. Also I am low on cash which is why I've been trying to fix it myself but it seems like I keep throwing money at the car and nothing is working.
Old 04 Apr 2012, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

UptownSport is very knowledgeable with these cars/engines but sometimes he even says things I'm not familiar with. The PCM is your computer, not sure about the AIS.

As far as the tests I recommended, no, an auto store can't do it. You should find a mechanic you can trust to perform them and maybe get his opinion first.
WolfmanG and harrym like this.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 04 Apr 2012, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
UptownSport is very knowledgeable with these cars/engines but sometimes he even says things I'm not familiar with. The PCM is your computer, not sure about the AIS.

As far as the tests I recommended, no, an auto store can't do it. You should find a mechanic you can trust to perform them and maybe get his opinion first.
Yeah I meant like a place that actually works on cars, not an AutoZone or anything like that.
Old 04 Apr 2012, 02:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

A.I.S. Air Idle Speed i believe its located on the throttle body
Old 04 Apr 2012, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyptguy View Post
A.I.S. Air Idle Speed i believe its located on the throttle body

Possibly, but according to Haynes and Chilton, the two pieces on the back of the throttle body are the IAC (Idle Air Controller) and the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
Old 04 Apr 2012, 04:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sorry, was working on another car that called it a 'AIS', you're right on with the PT's being an IAC!!!!
Old 04 Apr 2012, 05:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Sorry, was working on another car that called it a 'AIS', you're right on with the PT's being an IAC!!!!
COME ON MAN GET YOUR SH*T TOGETHER LOL jk
as you know i'm having the same problem so threads like these are really helping me out too.
Thanx guys.