PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...

Like Tree26Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2012, 12:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...

Great thread here...

...on to my stupid question.

Hopefully I will be draining, flushing and filling in the near future so I've been reading my Haynes manual.

It says to set the heater control to maximum heat after removing the pressure cap. Why is that?
Old 05 Aug 2012, 01:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You must run the water throughout the system to insure no air bubbles. That includes the heater core. Turning it up full blast allows the water to run freely through it.
Old 05 Aug 2012, 06:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Chrome.

Does that mean by switching the heater control full blast without the engine running still opens a valve or something in the heater core to flush it?

Old 29 Oct 2012, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok. I'm a first time poster (I think), but a long time lurker. Whenever I need to learn something about Cruiser's, I come here and read through the posts.

I'm getting things ready to do a flush and refill. I know nothing about cars, I'm a computer tech, but I get an idea how to do things from you're posts and my Haynes manual.

I've got my list for a flushing:

Bar's/12 oz. radiator 10 minute flush
1 gal of HOAT
1 gal distilled water

I'm having overheating problems with the water reservoir bubbling like a tea kettle. Took it to a shop, he thought it was either a radiator blockage or thermostat. He tested the head gasket and it was fine (thank God).
I replaced the thermostat (and had to replace a gas line in the engine after snapping it while trying to get off the thermo-housing). After installing the thermostat, my radiator lines started collapsing. We now know it's blockage in the radiator. Time to flush and refill.

Thank you to all with explaining the HOAT usage. After this flush, I will use it from now on!
Old 29 Oct 2012, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeMo View Post
Ok. I'm a first time poster (I think), but a long time lurker. Whenever I need to learn something about Cruiser's, I come here and read through the posts.

I'm getting things ready to do a flush and refill. I know nothing about cars, I'm a computer tech, but I get an idea how to do things from you're posts and my Haynes manual.

I've got my list for a flushing:

Bar's/12 oz. radiator 10 minute flush
1 gal of HOAT
1 gal distilled water

I'm having overheating problems with the water reservoir bubbling like a tea kettle. Took it to a shop, he thought it was either a radiator blockage or thermostat. He tested the head gasket and it was fine (thank God).
I replaced the thermostat (and had to replace a gas line in the engine after snapping it while trying to get off the thermo-housing). After installing the thermostat, my radiator lines started collapsing. We now know it's blockage in the radiator. Time to flush and refill.

Thank you to all with explaining the HOAT usage. After this flush, I will use it from now on!
Don't forget to change the cap and may be just buy a new radiator. Still need to flush the system. Getting system bled is important.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Oct 2012, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Don't forget to change the cap and may be just buy a new radiator. Still need to flush the system. Getting system bled is important.
Yeah, that's a definite possibility too...the radiator itself. From what we've figured out is that my radiator is still good....but I'll see when I get it flushed out and see how bad it really is inside.
Old 02 Nov 2012, 08:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
So that is the only HOAT made, the zerex G-05?
I see the chart says "not recommended" for Asian vehicles. So I shouldnt use it at all in my 2005 Miata?
Thank you very much for the information.
Saw one listed on Napa.
Old 02 Nov 2012, 11:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
You must run the water throughout the system to insure no air bubbles. That includes the heater core. Turning it up full blast allows the water to run freely through it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserLady View Post
Great thread here...

...on to my stupid question.

Hopefully I will be draining, flushing and filling in the near future so I've been reading my Haynes manual.

It says to set the heater control to maximum heat after removing the pressure cap. Why is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserLady View Post
Thanks Chrome.

Does that mean by switching the heater control full blast without the engine running still opens a valve or something in the heater core to flush it?

As with many mistakes that Haynes and Chilton often makes makes PT Cruisers have a Re-circulation-Air-Door. It is called a HVAC ( Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning)System. There is no heater valve controlling coolant so it does not mater on the PT as it is with many modern cars you do not need to touch the heater controls when doing a coolant change and flush.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 05:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, what I thought was a transmission leak turns out to be a bad radiator. There is a pinkish crust on the outside of it right at the seam. So here comes the question, should I stay with the HOAT? The mechanic seems to think the HOAT is the reason it was gunky. He suggested using the regular stuff once they replace the radiator and flush the system. I'm leaning towards going with the HOAT. Agree? or at this point does it matter? The car has 206,000 miles.

Thanks!
Old 27 Feb 2013, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would stay with HOAT. I wish I would have started using it from the beginning. I suggest getting a new mechanic too if he suggests using garbage.
Closed Thread