Advertisements
Dude, are you kidding?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2012, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dude, are you kidding?

I'm fixing a 2002 pt for a poor couple at my church pro bono. I'm not a mechanic by trade, just fixed alot of cars thru the years. Car had a blown head gasket. Installed timing belt & water pump. Checked the timing marks when installing belt, reassembled parts up to intake & decided to do a compression test. Average of 30 lbs per cylinder. Aarrgghh!!!!!! Could the belt have jumped after it was installed with tension? Any shortcuts besides tearing down again? I need a miracle...
Old 15 Apr 2012, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dude, are you kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooby View Post
I'm fixing a 2002 pt for a poor couple at my church pro bono. I'm not a mechanic by trade, just fixed alot of cars thru the years. Car had a blown head gasket. Installed timing belt & water pump. Checked the timing marks when installing belt, reassembled parts up to intake & decided to do a compression test. Average of 30 lbs per cylinder. Aarrgghh!!!!!! Could the belt have jumped after it was installed with tension? Any shortcuts besides tearing down again? I need a miracle...
Sorry no shortcuts I know of.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Apr 2012, 06:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
my friend owns a shop so i did mine there. when i got to that part he threw it on there because those like to move as the belt goes on. IIRC they don't line up perfect when it's on correctly.

then he had me start and rev the car to make sure it was on correctly while everything was still apart. the rev part is important as it will still idle with it on wrong
XtrmDC2 likes this.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, I've got it apart again & I followed the procedures for alignment & when I release tensioner the cam pulleys line up but the crank has moved forward & when I back it up to TDC the exhaust pulley is about a notch above the intake. Does anybody know how to finagle this thing so I never have to look at this vehicle again for eternity.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Ok, I've got it apart again & I followed the procedures for alignment & when I release tensioner the cam pulleys line up but the crank has moved forward & when I back it up to TDC the exhaust pulley is about a notch above the intake. Does anybody know how to finagle this thing so I never have to look at this vehicle again for eternity.
Move the one that out a notch one more tooth and try it again.
By the way. Your doing a great thing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com