Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 Overheating. What are these wires???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2012, 04:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 Overheating. What are these wires???

Just bought an 03 PT Crusier last week. 50k miles pretty clean inside. Besides all the sensor issues I fixed thanks to this site I'm still having trouble fixing my overheating problem. It only overheats when on freeway after a few exits or so it starts to climb to the point I have to blast my heat to bring it back down. I live in S. florida, it's bad enough my A/C doesn't work now I have to blast the heat lol. So far I've
-flushed the coolant taking both hoses off and running water garden hose water through it.
-replaced thermo with failsafe one.
-just replaced radiator cap.
-I pressure washed the front of the radiator

while doing the last I noticed that there was a set of wires just hanging and I cant find a location for them to plug into. there colors are purple with green stripe and black with blue stripe.. could this be the problem?

My next step would be replacing both the radiator and fan since they are pretty cheap on Ebay and I'm pretty nifty with the wrench.

I'm just dreading it being the water pump or head gasket since those are $$$$$ and out of my league of DIY.

Like I said I don't have A/C cause of the compressor being bad and I can't fix that till I find out if I have to move onto the water pump since those would be removed anyway.

WHAT is going on??? and What are these wires?? thanks

Old 10 May 2012, 10:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Overheating. What are these wires???

Guys, I've seen postings time and again about the radiator fans and guesses as to diagnosing the problems, overheating engines, etc. In the OEM Service Manual there is an entire section dedicated to the engine cooling system and how to troubleshoot it. I was going to post this in my library thread but it's locked, so I'll post it individually until Crewzin unlocks it.

Now, the service manuals are different for '06 and up, however if I were you and I was troubleshooting overheating problems, I'd download both because they both have excellent info in them.

Here they are, you can download directly from my web library:
2000-2005 PT Engine Cooling System
& 2006 and up PT Engine Cooling System.