Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 Overheating. What are these wires???

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2012, 05:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 Overheating. What are these wires???

Just bought an 03 PT Crusier non-turbo base model last week. 50k miles pretty clean inside. Besides all the sensor issues I fixed thanks to this site I'm still having trouble fixing my overheating problem. It only overheats when on freeway after a few exits or so it starts to climb to the point I have to blast my heat to bring it back down. I live in S. florida, it's bad enough my A/C doesn't work now I have to blast the heat lol. So far I've
-flushed the coolant taking both hoses off and running water garden hose water through it.
-replaced thermo with failsafe one.
-just replaced radiator cap.
-I pressure washed the front of the radiator

while doing the last I noticed that there was a set of wires just hanging and I cant find a location for them to plug into. there colors are purple with green stripe and black with blue stripe.. could this be the problem?

My next step would be replacing both the radiator and fan since they are pretty cheap on Ebay and I'm pretty nifty with the wrench.

I'm just dreading it being the water pump or head gasket since those are $$$$$ and out of my league of DIY.

Like I said I don't have A/C cause of the compressor being bad and I can't fix that till I find out if I have to move onto the water pump since those would be removed anyway.

WHAT is going on??? and What are these wires?? thanks

pic is below

Last edited by GuruCruiser; 15 Apr 2012 at 05:16 pm.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 05:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Overheating. What are these wires???

photo7.jpg picture by Guru_TattooStudio - Photobucket
Old 15 Apr 2012, 05:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

guru-

Welcome to the forums! I too have an 03' one of the wires for sure is your outside air temp sensor for your overhead console. The other I believe is your front impact sensor for your airbag, Not sure, I will check my service manual to be sure and report back to you. In the meantime I'm sure someone else will chime in.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 05:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

That connector is for a temperature sensor for the overhead console; compass/ thermometer/ map lights. It will not have anything to do with your overheating problem.

The 2003 shop manual gives the colors as violet/ light-green stripe and black/ light-blue stripe. The connector takes a sensor similar to (but not the same as) the sensor fastened to the radiator support in your picture. That other air temp sensor sends a signal to the PCM for fuel injection modulation.

Do you have an overhead console? My 2004 did not, but did have the wiring in place (with that connector) making it possible for me to add the console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruCruiser View Post

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 09:58 am.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 05:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

nah no overhead sensor in mine. ok so i'll ignore the wires lol. hmm now wonder whats causing the overheating at high speeds? anyone have this problem and was able to fix it? again it doesn't overheat while idling or driving around town. just high speeds 60-80ish
Old 15 Apr 2012, 05:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
That connector is for a temperature sensor for the overhead console; compass/ thermometer/ map lights. It will not have anything to do with your overheating problem.

The 2003 shop manual gives the colors as violet/ light-green stripe and black/ light-blue stripe. The connector takes a sensor similar to (but not the same as) the sensor fastened to the radiator support in your picture. That other air temp sensor sends a signal to the PCM for fuel injection modulation.

Do you have an overhead console? My 2004 did not, but did have the wiring in place (with that connector) making it possible for me to add the console.
I stand corrected! Thanks Sanatana!
Old 15 Apr 2012, 06:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Guru Cruiser,

If the fan is working properly, the cruiser only needs the coolant to slowly make it's way around the engine and radiator to keep everything cool. When you get up to speed, the coolant needs to move faster to dissipate the extra heat generated by the high speed. A partially clogged radiator, a water pump that's not operating properly, a partially clogged hose and last but not least, a split in the head gasket can all cause overheating at higher speeds. You need to check things out.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well hoses seem to be working good. do you think it's worth it to replace the fan and radiator or is that just wasting money and I should go right to replacing the water pump?
Old 15 Apr 2012, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Guru Cruiser,

If the fan is working properly, the cruiser only needs the coolant to slowly make it's way around the engine and radiator to keep everything cool. When you get up to speed, the coolant needs to move faster to dissipate the extra heat generated by the high speed. A partially clogged radiator, a water pump that's not operating properly, a partially clogged hose and last but not least, a split in the head gasket can all cause overheating at higher speeds. You need to check things out.
X2 on that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Apr 2012, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruCruiser View Post
Well hoses seem to be working good. do you think it's worth it to replace the fan and radiator or is that just wasting money and I should go right to replacing the water pump?
Need to determine what is needed. Or you could wind up replacing till you run out of money.
CREWZIN likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com