Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help with crossthread engine mount bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2012, 10:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help with crossthread engine mount bolt

Yesterday my brother and I replaced the leaking water pump gasket on my sister's 03 Cruiser (non-turbo). We also replaced the two torque braces (upper and lower, both were worn out) the right side motor mount (the one that bolts to the right side frame rail), the timing belt, timing idler puller, and timing tensioner pulley.

All went well until I went to put the right engine mount through bolt (the one with the T55 Torx head) back through the frame rail and into the power steering bracket that bolts to the motor. The bolt went into its hole and began to thread by hand. I thought it was in correctly so I began to tighten it with my ratchet. I got about four turns in when I heard a horrid CRUNCH and the bolt seized up tight. I haven't been able to get the bolt to back out, even with a four foot cheater bar attached to my ratchet.

The next problem encountered was the bolt that holds the accessory belt pulley onto the crank snout. I used a puller to get the pulley off, but the center bolt on the puller was too short. So I put a small socket down the center bore in the crank snout for the bolt on the puller to sit against. Apparently the socket galled or damaged the first few threads inside the crank snout and now the crank bolt won't go it.

I know. These are a couple of stupid stupid mistakes, and I feel like a real idiot have done BOTH during the same job. A few months ago we changed the water pump, timing belt, and all motor mounts on my brother's 03 PT Cruiser and we had the whole job done, start to finish, in four hours and it went very smoothly. I have been working on cars for 20 years and I think these are just about the dumbest mistakes I have done on a single job.

Anyway, here are my questions-

(1) Does the right engine mount through bolt actually thread into the block of the motor or does it thread into that big annoying power steering pump bracket that bolts to the motor? I am hoping I can get a new power steering pump bracket and avoid having to try and run a tap into the block or pull the engine to repair my dumb mistake.

(2) Can anyone tell me the thread size and pitch of the right engine mount through bolt and the crank snout? I am crossing my fingers that I can (a) get the through bolt out and (b) use a tap and die set to clean up the threads in the crank and the engine through bolt hole.

Any help and/or suggestions (constructive only please) will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 11:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Need help with crossthread engine mount bolt

no need for a tap and die. just grind a shallow notch into bolts you already have, lubricate them well, and make sure they go in straight.

if you do go buy taps, make sure they are bottom taps and not taper taps. a bottom tap is less likely to just carve new threads wherever you point it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (42.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 16 Apr 2012, 11:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hmmmmm. I might give that a try. My first problem is getting the crossthread bolt out of the right motor mount bracket. I will see how it looks and try again.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, yeah. I found the online parts manual section on this site. What a treasure. If anyone else comes after me and needs to know the bolt sizes, the motor mount bolt is 12X1.75X85 and the crank pulley bolt is 12X1.75X87.5.
Old 07 May 2012, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I wasn't too sure if I could ask under this post, but I have something similar. I had tightened the intake manifold (#4) without my torq nearby and it broke the bolt/screw in half. Now I have the head in my ratchet and half inside the manifold. Any ideas on how to get it out. I was thinking about super gluing the head back onto the body, but i'm afraid that will just get it permenantly stuck in there. Last resort would be to brake the manifold and hopefull be able to get the it out. Any direction would be appreciated, and if i need to create another post that wouldn't be a problem. Thanks again.
Old 07 May 2012, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Is this a upper to lower intake bolt or a lower to head intake bolt? Either way, my suggestion would be to remove the intake manifold and see if there is enough of the body of the bolt protruding from whatever it screws into (head or lower intake) to grab it with a pair of vise grips and remove it.
Old 07 May 2012, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply glibbis. It was the upper intake manifold to the lower one. I tightened it too much, and it can't get the upper manifold off.
Old 07 May 2012, 11:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Removing the rest of the upper to lower intake manifold bolts won't let you take the upper intake off? What is stopping you?
Old 07 May 2012, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

I think the screw is in between them both. Meaning, I was able to get the screw in and tighten it, but the head broke off, so when I loosen and remove the others, that one (#4) keeps them together. In a desperate attempt to resolve the issue, i resulted in thinking about spinning off the manifold, until i realized that was impossible on accound of it's size and the room provided. I'm going to try and use a flathead and see if maybe i can catch the tip where it broke off, and see if maybe I can loosen it from there. I'll post my progress and my results as I go along.
Old 07 May 2012, 11:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ah. Well, you may need to carefully pry the upper intake off the lower one and allow the threads in the upper intake to strip out. Then you could grab the protruding remnant of the bolt in the lower intake and remove it. You only really need the threads in the lower intake anyway.