Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 Stalls at lights when AC/Heating fan running

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2012, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 Stalls at lights when AC/Heating fan running

I have a 2008 pt cruiser with about 80,000 miles It lurches and threatens to stall when starting to move after a stop in stop and go traffic if the ac/heating fan is running in the car. Usually if I give it gas very slowly it keeps going and runs fine until the next stop light but sometimes stalls or runs rough until I turn it off and back on again, then it runs fine until the next stop light. I haven't had it stall when I'm actually moving down the road. It's been doing this for about a month. It seems to run fine on the highway even with the ac fan running although I'm trying to avoid using it.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 Stalls at lights when AC/Heating fan running

The computer raises the idle when the A/C is on to compensate for the drain in power from the compressor. it might not be doing that. Try resetting the computer by taking the negative battery cable off for about 5 minutes. While the cable is off, step on the brake pedal to get rid of any residual charge. Put it back together and see if anything changes.

It's like a reboot on your home computer. Fixes a lot of things.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 May 2012, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin, I am having a similar problem, the PT has been doing something similar for a while. I had previously checked the fan by directly powering it up and both speeds ran, so my next step is going to be checking/cleaning the IAC. I have seen several posts and seems to be either the fan or IAC seems to be the culprit. Thoughts?
Old 01 May 2012, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, you directly put power to the fan and have both speeds BUT do both speeds work especially when the A/C is on? You have the computer that controls everything, the relays for both speeds of the fan and the temperature sensor under the thermostat that tells the computer when it's hot enough to turn on the fan and to bump the speed from low to high. The computer also compensates for the loss of power when the compressor kicks on so you should notice a raise in RPM's when the A/C turns on.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.