PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT electrical?? Issues. Girl needs help, PLEASE!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2012, 02:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT electrical?? Issues. Girl needs help, PLEASE!

I Just bought a cute little PT (2 weeks ago), want to do it up like a 40's style car, but have some practical issues first. The "traction off", parking brake and "ABS" lights are lit on the dash (saw the exact issue in another post, but no resolution), however, I don't seem to have any issues with them, I see no reason for the lights being lit.
Also, the rear wiper wouldn't work when I bought it, then once (and only once) it decided to work, but not since.
Seems like an electrical issue, but can't trust any mechanic ( screwed way to many times. One local dealership charged me over $2,000 and never fixed anything. My dad put in a new batter and problem solved)
Anyone know where I should start and how to be sure of the problem so I don't get shafted? confused:

Last edited by loralee76; 16 Apr 2012 at 02:06 pm.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT electrical?? Issues. Girl needs help, PLEASE!

Loralee,

You said you saw the same issue without resolution but there were more than one and a scanner told the owner that a broken front left sensor was causing the ABS, Traction and Handbrake lights. So you might just have someone with an OBDII scanner go over all the sensors on yours. Here's the thread.

ABS and Traction control warning lights on

For the rear wiper, all the panels on the rear hatch come off pretty easily. Yo might want to try and get at the wiper to see if 12V's are getting to the wiper. Sounds like an intermittent short with one of the wires.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 06:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Loralee,

You said you saw the same issue without resolution but there were more than one and a scanner told the owner that a broken front left sensor was causing the ABS, Traction and Handbrake lights. So you might just have someone with an OBDII scanner go over all the sensors on yours. Here's the thread.

ABS and Traction control warning lights on

For the rear wiper, all the panels on the rear hatch come off pretty easily. Yo might want to try and get at the wiper to see if 12V's are getting to the wiper. Sounds like an intermittent short with one of the wires.
Also with the rear wiper, water can migrate down the shaft into the motor and corrode the contacts. Witch sounds more likely in your case. These do go bad.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Apr 2012, 06:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Also with the rear wiper, water can migrate down the shaft into the motor and corrode the contacts. Witch sounds more likely in your case. These do go bad.
2x what busted said, happened to mine. Replaced it, all good now. Pics please!

Last edited by fabreezai; 16 Apr 2012 at 07:20 pm.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 07:05 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: 2002 PT electrical?? Issues. Girl needs help, PLEASE!

You have only had the pt for 2 weeks and put 2000 dollars into it?

If it were mine, I wouldnt even worry about the rear wiper.

I have never used or never intend on using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loralee76 View Post
I Just bought a cute little PT (2 weeks ago), want to do it up like a 40's style car, but have some practical issues first. The "traction off", parking brake and "ABS" lights are lit on the dash (saw the exact issue in another post, but no resolution), however, I don't seem to have any issues with them, I see no reason for the lights being lit.
Also, the rear wiper wouldn't work when I bought it, then once (and only once) it decided to work, but not since.
Seems like an electrical issue, but can't trust any mechanic ( screwed way to many times. One local dealership charged me over $2,000 and never fixed anything. My dad put in a new batter and problem solved)
Anyone know where I should start and how to be sure of the problem so I don't get shafted? confused:
Old 19 Jul 2012, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2006 PT cruiser limited with the rear wiper motor quit. I replaced the motor and still not working. I checked voltage at the plug and got 12.2 V on the orange wire with red tracer. Brown wire with green tracer got nothing and the black wire got nothing. I know the black wire is ground but what is the brown wire with green tracer for? Should I have 12 V on that wire as well pulsing with the switch on? Any help would be great.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can only speak for the 01-03 Cruisers; black of course is ground. Although a different color, DB on mine, BR/LG on 2002 and later, the DB goes directly to the fuse box, fuse #15 20amp. The BR/LG wires goes to the Rear Wiper Switch and if I'm reading correctly does have 12V when the switch is activated.

It all could be different with the new CAN BUS electrical system that started in 2006.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When the switch is on I have voltage. I checked the fuses and all are good. It is not fuse 15 on mine. My fuse box is under the hood and not in the cabin. I am stumped. The front wipers and all that work and the rear washer fluid work as well just the wiper in the rear. I do not know what to try next.

Tags
abs, dash lights, electrical problems, rear wiper, trac off