Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0551 code power steering pressure valve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2012, 03:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Default P0551 code power steering pressure valve

I received the code, and maybe moved to fast, as I ordered a pressure switch on line, and then the light (in my head) went on, and I checked the power steering reservoir for fluid level, and sure enough, it was at the bottom of the dip stick. I filled it to the full line, disconnected the ground cable, and haven't started it since reconnecting the cable.
I would assume that low fluid level would create the check engine light a lot quicker than a potential problem with the pressure switch, due to the switches designed function.
The strange thing is, there are NO leaks under the car to indicate a hose or hose connection may be leaking.....
Any thoughts about the engine light reacting due to low fluid level?
Thanks
Old 06 May 2012, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: P0551 code power steering pressure valve

I know this is an old post but my buddy's 2005 PT Cruiser threw this code and I looked it up and it said something about the pressure switch. So he ordered a new switch and came over today to put it in. We had a heck of a time finding the switch.

Finally I checked on here and found out it was mounted on the rear of the rack on the driver's side. So we changed it and I filled up the fluid. The switch I took out was quiet wet inside where the wire plugged in, leading us to think it had developed a leak at the switch seal?

Of course, we reset the computer by disconnecting the battery so we will have to wait and see if it comes back.
Old 24 May 2012, 02:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm getting Code P0551 on my 2003 PT Cruiser. too. Did replacing the power steering pressure sensor solve you problem? Also, does anyone have a diagram or photo to show where it's located?
Old 24 May 2012, 02:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here ya go. Read the posting above yours for more information.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 May 2012, 04:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Great Picture Crewzin. I wish I saw that a couple of weeks ago

I did find it, we got the connector off from the bottom but I found it easier to replace it by taking off the driver's side front wheel and go in from that side. The switch is on the back of the steering rack gearbox. On my buddie's 2005 Turbo Verte, the code did not come back after replacing the switch (over 300 miles ago). I changed the switch on my 1003 GT because it had started to leak.

I used a deep 7/8" socket, an universal joint and a 12" extension.

Old 21 Jun 2012, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJohn View Post
Great Picture Crewzin. I wish I saw that a couple of weeks ago

I did find it, we got the connector off from the bottom but I found it easier to replace it by taking off the driver's side front wheel and go in from that side. The switch is on the back of the steering rack gearbox. On my buddie's 2005 Turbo Verte, the code did not come back after replacing the switch (over 300 miles ago). I changed the switch on my 1003 GT because it had started to leak.

I used a deep 7/8" socket, an universal joint and a 12" extension.

WOW a 1003, that's a collectible! Where did you find it jk

Anywho i got this code too. Thanks for the help guys. Now to replace it!