PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
RTV on intake gasket, or some other solution?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default RTV on intake gasket, or some other solution?

2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible. I bought it with 92K on January 31, check engine came on during a test drive with a rough idle. They replaced the plugs and wires and gave me a 3K mile/90 day powertrain warranty. Light was off when I picked it up and it ran better. That was 2K miles ago. This weekend the check engine light came on. The idle is rough again. Pulled the code, P0304 only, misfire #4.

Read up here, did the spray lube trick on the upper to lower intake seam. It smoothed the idle out for a second when I sprayed at two different spots. I got a new MOPAR upper-to-lower intake gasket and just finished replacing it. Idle is still rough. Check engine light is still on, flashing at times. Spray lube trick still smoothes it out for a second at one particular spot of that seam.

Questions:
(1) What is the torque spec on those upper-to-lower intake bolts. I made it as tight as I felt comfortable with but my Chilton's manual is still on order. This is an aluminum intake, not plastic.

(2) I'm tempted to take it apart again and put RTV on the gasket. I don't think it requires it, but if the intake is warped at all, this might be enough. Any thoughts on this as a good or bad idea?

(3) Could it be something else? With the spray lube trick still smoothing out the idle, it seems like that seal is the issue. I've been wrong before though. Pulled the #4 boot anyway, no oil in the well, no carbon tracks on the boot. I didn't pull the plug.

Dealers are a PITA, but if I have to invoke the warranty I guess I could. I'm sure whatever they determine needs replacing won't be covered for some reason and they'll do that two or three times. Maybe I'm just a nasty combination of stubborn and cynical. If it were my dime, I would probably RTV the intake gasket and then do a cylinder compression test, in that order. I'm open to other suggestions. Really need that torque spec though.

Thanks for the extra eyes on this one.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 11:34 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: RTV on intake gasket, or some other solution?

Replace the gasket between the intake to head...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You can always junk that aluminum intake and swap it for the plastic one for about $120 and that may solve most of your idle problems...
Also make sure the plugs are gapped at .040 and they are NOT platinum plugs .....and make sure you are NOT using the regular mopar wires.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 01:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No difference between the plastic and aluminum upper intakes besides material? Did they use plastic in any turbo applications?

Lower gasket is another option. It doesn't explain the spraying of the upper seam with lubricant evening the idle for a second or two, but I've been baffled before by symptoms from multiple problems when I'm only looking for one.

RocketPowered, is that Kosher to put a Ford 9" behind a Chevy 454? Seems to unbalance the universe, although it is a simple sturdy rear end.

Anybody ever had a hairline crack in their aluminum intake?
Old 18 Apr 2012, 01:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedbr View Post
No difference between the plastic and aluminum upper intakes besides material? Did they use plastic in any turbo applications?

Lower gasket is another option. It doesn't explain the spraying of the upper seam with lubricant evening the idle for a second or two, but I've been baffled before by symptoms from multiple problems when I'm only looking for one.

RocketPowered, is that Kosher to put a Ford 9" behind a Chevy 454? Seems to unbalance the universe, although it is a simple sturdy rear end.

Anybody ever had a hairline crack in their aluminum intake?

Yes in later model '05 + turbos
The composit mani uses attached Orings for the upper and lower gaskets. gasket
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 18 Apr 2012, 02:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

^ that...and the plastic one has a better and even flow to each cylinder
Old 18 Apr 2012, 05:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Reed-

I have my intake from my 03' N/A available w/all the o'ring gaskets and hardware, complete. I would let go for a song and a dance plus shipping if you determine that it will fix your problem. Let me know.

Last edited by fabreezai; 18 Apr 2012 at 05:36 pm.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 06:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

If I had an ounce of warrantee left, I'd take the car in and let them fix it. If they don't and the warrantee runs out, then sue them in small claims court.

Tim
XtrmDC2 likes this.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 07:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
Reed-

I have my intake from my 03' N/A available w/all the o'ring gaskets and hardware, complete. I would let go for a song and a dance plus shipping if you determine that it will fix your problem. Let me know.
I wouldn't use an N/A intake on a GT
Old 18 Apr 2012, 09:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Everybody uses a 9"