Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
40-45 MPH Vibration in a new '02 PT Automatic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2002, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 40-45 MPH Vibration in a new '02 PT Automatic

Hello to all my fellow PT enthusiasts! I am a new owner of an '02 LTD Cruiser with A/T and ABS. I sensed a very "slight" vibration in the passenger compartment (not a shimmy in the the steering wheel) between 40-45 mph the first day and returned to the dealer immediately. I'm told that the vibration is caused by the torque converter lockup that happens at 40mph and is "normal" for Cruisers with A/T. If you're looking for it, you can feel the shift point just before the vibration begins at 40mph. The vibration, (which is felt right through the seats), is most noticeable at 42mph and smooths out at 45mph and is really only noticeable when you maintain speed in that 40-45 range. This may be one of those "nature of the beast" issues that many cars have, but I would appreciate any feedback from other owners and their experiences.

Have fun cruising...
Don in Florida

Edited by - mopar madness on 08/22/2002 12:10:05

Edited by - mopar madness on 08/26/2002 13:50:11

Edited by - mopar madness on 08/26/2002 13:55:26
Old 23 Aug 2002, 09:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don,
I have an 01 LTD Automatic with just under 38,000 miles. I've never noticed this kind of vibration that your talking about. My advice is to find a shop that lifts your PT up in the air by using the four jacking points so the wheels can turn freely. Go up in the air with the car and run it to the point where the vibration is so someone down below can try and pinpoint where your problem is. Good Luck.

P.S. What part of Florida are you in. There's a couple of PT Cruiser clubs with chapters located in many of the major cities and towns.

Edited by - crewzin on 08/23/2002 08:40:41
Old 23 Aug 2002, 09:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Don, we have an '01 touring and an '02 touring Both with automatic and neither one displays the symptoms you describe. From my perspective it is not "nature of the beast" for the tranny to vibrate at torque converter lockup.

2001 Aquamarine Touring - Mama's.....2002 Cranberry Touring - Mine
Old 26 Aug 2002, 02:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you to Crewzin and CTFrank for the feedback. I'm gald to hear that neither one of you have experienced any undo vibration, but as a followup I have since returned to my dealer and tested several other brand new identically equipped Cruisers ('02 LTD with A/T and ABS), and all exhibited the exact same vibration. I'm not sure if this could be the differece, but do either of you have ABS with low speed traction control? The only other possibility is that I have mislead everyone about the severity of this vibration. The vibration is very slight and could easily be overlooked or attributed to an irregular road surface. Of course it doesn't help that I also drive a Lincoln LSC, or the fact that I am a perfectionist and extremely particular. In any event, I'm still thrilled with my Cruiser and proud to have joined the brotherhood of enthusiasts such as yourselves. Oh yeah Crewzin, I'm on the east coast of central Florida around Melbourne.

Have fun cruising...
Don in Florida
Old 26 Aug 2002, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don,
Don't know about CTFrank, but I don't have ABS or traction control. Maybe, as you say, the lincoln has spoiled you. My other drive is a 16 year old loud Vette so the PT is heaven to me.

Think about joining one of the Florida clubs. I belong to the FPTCC which has chapters all over the place including Melbourne. Here's a link:
http://www.floridaptcruiserclub.com/

Edited by - crewzin on 08/26/2002 15:05:36
Old 26 Aug 2002, 09:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Both of our PT's have ABS and Traction control, maybe if I took my foot out of it sooner I might notice. I'll have to try soft pedaling a bit to see if I notice any vibration at lockup.

2001 Aquamarine Touring - Mama's.....2002 Cranberry Touring - Mine
Old 27 Aug 2002, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2002,AT,non ABs that has a similar vibration, from day one..8000 miles, at exactly 60 and above.Had the GoodYears replaced,no luck. All the dealer wants to do so far is balance the tires. Very annoying on trips to say the least. Any input here would also be appreciated.

Old 29 Aug 2002, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I JUST GOT A 2002 PT. IT HAS THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE VIB. I TOOK IT BACK THAY SAID TO DRIVE IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS . YOU CAN TAKE IT UP TO 50 MPH AND LEET OFF THE GAS AND AS IT SLOWS DOWN YOU CAN FILL IT TO .

CARL FOWLER
Old 30 Aug 2002, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks again guys for the replies. I'm convinced at this point that this "slight vibration point" is inherent to most Cruisers with A/T and I'm not sure what, if any, role ABS/Traction Control factors in.
Once again I hope I haven't mislead anyone about the severity of this vibration. The vibration is very slight and could easily be overlooked or attributed to an irregular road surface.
Anyway, thanks for validating that I'm not crazy Carl and I don't know what to say about your problem BCME136. It would appear that you have a separate issue BCME if your vibration is above 50mph. Does the vibration persist anywhere above 50mph or does it stop at some point? In any event, any vibration at highway speeds doesn't sound like it should be acceptable, especially if it's over a wide range of speeds. If you can't get any satisfaction from the Service Mgr. at your dealer BCME I would recommend that you contact the DSM (District Service Manager) for Chrysler and get him involved. Set a time to meet him at the dealer and have him drive the car with you. It would also be worth a conversation with the dealers Principal/Owner. Above all, keep all your repair orders documenting the attempted repairs, because if all else fails you might have to use the lemon law. Good luck BCME !!!

Have fun cruising...
Don in Florida
Old 01 Sep 2002, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Mopar. At exactly 60 and all speeds above the vib is constant until 59 mph and lower. I will contact Chrysler. Maybe there's a dealer in the Chicago area with a dyno.