PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Whats the Head flat spec. for head gasket.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Whats the Head flat spec. for head gasket.

What is the acceptable spec. for true on the 2.4 head? And your best way to check the head.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Apr 2012, 02:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Whats the Head flat spec. for head gasket.

i'd check 3 directions, like this, measuring each position centers and ends with a feeler gauge. then i flip my straightedge over and measure again to eliminate the possibility of my straightedge being bent. 0.004 is generally the acceptable limit. if i had one .005 i'd probably still use it, but anymore it'd be a good excuse to mill the head and bump up the compression (:

pic from vatozone:

i've only actually bothered to do once, and it was not a PT head.
TurboDucky and Busted_PT like this.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i'd check 3 directions, like this, measuring each position centers and ends with a feeler gauge. then i flip my straightedge over and measure again to eliminate the possibility of my straightedge being bent. 0.004 is generally the acceptable limit. if i had one .005 i'd probably still use it, but anymore it'd be a good excuse to mill the head and bump up the compression (:

pic from vatozone:

i've only actually bothered to do once, and it was not a PT head.
Thank's great illustration. It's an N/A so compression not a big deal. Going to resurrect and sale to pay for the others. Just couldn't let it be put down. Worth fixing at $350. I don't think they could figure out how to put it back together.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Apr 2012, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
What is the acceptable spec. for true on the 2.4 head? And your best way to check the head.
Still looking for acceptable warp number before I have to have the head shaved. The first response maybe correct but I haven't confirmed yet.
Not looking for more compression. Just repairing for resale. Spending more doesn't sell for more.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Apr 2012, 10:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Still looking for acceptable warp number before I have to have the head shaved. The first response maybe correct but I haven't confirmed yet.
Not looking for more compression. Just repairing for resale. Spending more doesn't sell for more.
durr.. i forgot, i can access ALLDATA(not a mechanic by trade). here's the info you seek & the torquing instructions for a 2003 PT 2.4L:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (81.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 25 Apr 2012, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Was not the news I was hoping for but now I know!

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Apr 2012, 12:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

[QUOTE=rob342;422631]i'd check 3 directions, like this, measuring each position centers and ends with a feeler gauge. then i flip my straightedge over and measure again to eliminate the possibility of my straightedge being bent. 0.004 is generally the acceptable limit. if i had one .005 i'd probably still use it, but anymore it'd be a good excuse to mill the head and bump up the compression (:
QUOTE]

i had my head shaved. not too much in difference performance wise. but it was worth it just so i can say i had it done!!
Old 26 Apr 2012, 08:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=mdskinner731;423456]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
QUOTE]

i had my head shaved. not too much in difference performance wise. but it was worth it just so i can say i had it done!!
Thank's guys, I'll have to spend the money and do it. Don't want anyone to have a problem with the car. Hopefully no other unexpected things crop up. Needs some miner body & paint too. Should pay for the two turbo cars, money wise. Leaving with my labor in them. That won't be to bad. Labor I got money is another mater lol.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com