PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
motor mount inserts question

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2012, 01:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Default motor mount inserts question

thinking about getting inserts to replace the worn mounts energy suspension an prothane both list bottom mounts but not the top are they the same inserts?
Old 22 Apr 2012, 09:00 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: motor mount inserts question

Just look for Neon Srt4 inserts...the kit comes for both mounts
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 01:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: motor mount inserts question

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Just look for Neon Srt4 inserts...the kit comes for both mounts
This is exactly what I did, got the ES poly mounts for a Neon SRT4...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 22 Apr 2012, 03:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

THANK YOU
Old 05 Jul 2012, 09:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Haven't been around in a while ... oh well.

Look like the same engine mount questions I have asked way back are still not answered. Guess I may have to take one for the team. I called Energy Suspension today, they are no help either.

So the question still is .... do all the normally aspirated 2.4L PT's have the same upper and lower mounts? If so, then I am sure my next question is unneeded. I have an 06 Base PT that I need/want to change the mounts and while I am at it, install inserts. Has ANYBODY installed the 00-05 Neon part in an 06+ PT?

Auto parts sites are confuzzing also, some show that the Base model does not have a lower mount ???? They show the Base and the Cruising Edition having different mounts ???? I miss the simplicity of the 01 Beetle Turbo still on blox in my garage.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 05 Jul 2012, 09:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wait...there are better mounts than the OEM ones?? Is someone saying that you can get JUST the inserts?? I gotta replace mine as the top and bottom are FUBAR! Do tell!

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 06 Jul 2012, 01:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Okay

I looked at Anchors (the mount maker) site, called Modern Performance and Energy Suspension and found the following. First lets dispell some myths - While we have been told many times that the 03-05 Neon SRT has the same torque mounts as the PT cruisers, this is only a 5/8th truth.

It appears that all Neon 2.4L including the SRT and all PT/GT Cruisers use the same upper torque arm, Anchor part 2948. It also seems the rear mount Anchor 2947 is the same. The Lower Torque Mount is a different story. The 01-05 PT uses anchor part 2949 which has a smaller bolt hole, 1/2" I am told, in the side that bolts to the engine. I guess this is the "weaker" versions and the reason why most of the mount change articles deal with 01-05 N/A PT's. The Neon SRT, The GT Cruiser and some of the Turbo PT Cruisers and ALL 06-10 PT/GT/whatever use the Anchor part 3169 for the lower torque mount, this mount has a larger 9/16th bolt hole. Maybe this is why mine are still in decent shape, they are the OEM SRT mounts.

I have heard of people getting the wrong mounts in this forum, I guess getting the small hole when you have the big bolt can be a problem. I can see that the opposite may be true too, possibly causing the smaller bolt to loosen.

So yes, the SRT mount would be the way to go. I am doing my 06, hope not to do the kids 01. Ask someone with the 01-05 about how to deal with the larger diameter hole or any problems they have had because of the diff in bolt hole diameter.

I ordered my upper and lower from Rock and ordered the Prothane inserts from Modern Performance today. I don't know why I am doing this maintenance, car is in the tradin mileage range, there just aint anything that interests me on the market right now so I guess I could keep it another year. There is a reason for my changing these parts ... I have the knocking noise now that I have full moons on the car. But I have my theory for that and will add to that unsolved thread.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 06 Jul 2012, 01:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

As far as I know all the PT's use the exact same upper and lower torque struts, which are commonly referred to as engine mounts. The inserts for the SRT4 Neon come as a set for the upper and lower and fit perfectly in the PT's mounts.
Like I posted above I have a set of the Energy Suspension SRT4 inserts in my '01 PT.

If the rubber is torn in the mounts you have to replace the mounts then install the inserts. The inserts are not a cure for already worn/broken mounts, but they will help keep them from tearing and also stiffen things up.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 06 Jul 2012, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

didnt uptown say that the clear silicon will work like a new insert????
Old 06 Jul 2012, 02:45 pm
Banned

When talking about OEM torque struts in particular, the NA PT's and turbo PT's and SRT-4 struts have exactly the same deminsions as far as attachment points.

The important differance between the struts is the volume of rubber that is contained in the "big end" of the struts. The turbo PT's and the SRT-4 struts have an equal amount of material and they both contain more material than the NA PT's.

Below are pics showing the SRT-4 struts and the NA struts, Notice the volume of rubber in the eyes of the struts.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 132.08 SRT4 strut.jpg (39.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 132.09 SRT4-PT turbo strut.jpg (35.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 132.07 SRT4 strut.jpg (38.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 132.12 stock PT strut.jpg (38.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 132.11 Stock PT strut.jpg (36.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 132.10 Stock PT strut.jpg (36.2 KB, 55 views)