Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruiser woes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2012, 12:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Cruiser woes

Hello, my name is David. I own a 2008 Cruiser. As soon as I bought it I started looking for a forum like this. There is so much information on these sites and very helpful folks. Mine is sick now, it has 75,000 miles on it and recently came up with a PO304 code. I changed the plugs to champion platinums and the wires to NAPA beldon. I still have the rough idle and PO304 code a couple times since then. I ran seafoam through the tank and recently had a po300 and po304. I am thinking the coil pack is junk since the gap was huge on the plugs i took out. I didnt know about the .040 gap and gapped them at .050 but I cant see how that would make much difference as the gap had to be over .050 for the year I have had the car since last may when it had 62,000 on it. Also, do these have rev limiters on them? The car misses in park above 4,000 rpm. But i can redline it with normal in gear driving.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Cruiser woes

Sorry I can't be much help with the engine codes but yes the pt's have a rev limiter in park and neutral

03 N/A CRUISER
Old 22 Apr 2012, 01:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Oh. Thanks. That eliminates thinking something else was wrong!
Old 22 Apr 2012, 01:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The P0304 is for the cylinder on the right side as you look at the engine from the outside. The coil is a real good one that comes from the factory and very seldom does anyone see a bad one. They change it to fix a problem but it never fixes it. You might have a small vacuum leak around the seam of the upper manifold or where the upper meets the lower.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 02:06 pm
Banned

I have heard we are not to run platinums, maybe that
Is for turbos though, I can't remember.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I have heard we are not to run platinums, maybe that
Is for turbos though, I can't remember.

Yep, apparently Turbo's run too hot for the thin platinum tip.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 05:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks. Crewzin those are nice tail lights. I have LED ones on mine.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
Thanks. Crewzin those are nice tail lights. I have LED ones on mine.
Yep, had the LED's on mine also, plus the amber/red, clear/red and 2 sets of APC's.

Old 22 Apr 2012, 07:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Your PT should run just fine at a plug gap, anywhere between .048 and .053 inches. That was the original gap that Chrysler recommended before changing it to .040 inch. Of course, the new .040 is better in cold weather, though.

When I last changed my plugs, I used the OEM Champion RE14MCC5. Just regular old plugs--no platinum or any other fancy metals. I had no problems ... but ....

I attempted to replace my old OEM plug wires with Napa Belden wires and ran into a lot of trouble. They simply would not "click" onto the plugs. I could not hear the click--or feel it. So there was no way to tell if the wire connector had made a good, tight connection to the plug end. The wire-length spacing of the collar was off, and there was no way to adjust that length without destroying the wires. In fact, I attempted to push one of the wires into the collar and it would not budge a single bit. Then I tried pulling on the wire from the inside of the collar and the crimped connector came off. My remedy was to take the Beldens back and I bought Bosch.

The Bosch wires "clicked" right onto the plug ends with no problems whatsoever. And my PT idles just like it should.

Tim
Old 23 Apr 2012, 04:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Right. I checked to make sure. I was skeptical of the them as I had never heard of them. I know Beldon makes good low voltage shielded cable. Driving the car it doesnt miss. Idles worse when cold. I was thinking EGR, but that wouldnt explain the misfire code. It rained here yesterday so I wasnt able to poke around with it. I forgot to mention that a couple times I started it after running 10 minutes it diesled and idles extremely rough, i gave it gas to keep it running, then bingo smooth as silk, then the check engine codes PO300 and PO303 came up. 2 or 3 days later PO304. So, its all over the place. Runs good other than the idle and codes

Last edited by L2fish; 23 Apr 2012 at 04:18 am.