Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
getting ready to replace wheel cylinders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2012, 01:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default getting ready to replace wheel cylinders

I've just noticed that both of my rear wheel cylinders are leaking ( 2004, ABS front only, 29k mi.) and I'm gathering up the parts and tools to do the job. Does anyone know what size flare wrench I need to remove the line nuts. Also, any suggestions or comments regarding brand of parts to buy and where. I don't want to take any chances with cheap parts or waste money on overly expensive ones either, guess that goes without saying. I am kinda leaning toward Raybestos because they have been around forever. THANKS
Old 24 Apr 2012, 12:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: getting ready to replace wheel cylinders

I'd suggest getting kits from Wagner and using a homemade sandpaper 'whip' to refresh cylinder surface.
You'll only need to loosen bleeder, not risk line breaking-

Plus, you won't have to worry about cylinder quality.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 02:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Call me paranoid, but when a brake cylinder starts leaking, I replace it with a new one. Raybestos is a company that I have never had a problem with. Try RockAuto to see if you can get their parts for cheap.

Also, it's very odd that you should have to replace your brake cylinders, so early on.

Tim
Old 24 Apr 2012, 04:15 pm
Young Cruiser

I agree, replace the wheel cylinders. Much less of a headache, no worries about leaks and far less work to get the job done. Get new ones, not rebuilt.

I've got a brake question. Can the brakes be bleed with a hand vacuum bleeder setup on the PT without throwing any trouble codes? Reading the factory manual makes it sound like one needs all sort of equipment reset the ABS system after a simple brake bleeding. All I want to do is flush out the old fluid with some fresh stuff.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 05:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred View Post
I agree, replace the wheel cylinders. Much less of a headache, no worries about leaks and far less work to get the job done. Get new ones, not rebuilt.

I've got a brake question. Can the brakes be bleed with a hand vacuum bleeder setup on the PT without throwing any trouble codes? Reading the factory manual makes it sound like one needs all sort of equipment reset the ABS system after a simple brake bleeding. All I want to do is flush out the old fluid with some fresh stuff.
I have used a vacuum bleeder to completely flush the brake fluid in mine with no problems at all. I have 4 wheel disks and ABS.

Just be sure to do the bleeding in the correct order as the PT has a diagonally split brake system. I don't know the correct order, but its the left front, right rear and the right front, left rear...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 24 Apr 2012, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
I'd suggest getting kits from Wagner and using a homemade sandpaper 'whip' to refresh cylinder surface.
You'll only need to loosen bleeder, not risk line breaking-

Plus, you won't have to worry about cylinder quality.
If the bleeder will come loose, I'll have to say I don't mind rebuilding my own. Not rocket science here. I can rebuild one as good as I can buy. All the parts that count are new when your finished. Have a problem with a seized line nut and the easy just went out of a new replacement. The lack of miles is exactly why they went bad.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Apr 2012, 06:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
I have used a vacuum bleeder to completely flush the brake fluid in mine with no problems at all. I have 4 wheel disks and ABS.

Just be sure to do the bleeding in the correct order as the PT has a diagonally split brake system. I don't know the correct order, but its the left front, right rear and the right front, left rear...
Thanks. Reading the manual made it sound downright daunting dealing with the computer. As for which wheel to start with, I found this order listed somewhere:

Left rear, right front, right rear, left front.

Usually when bleeding a diagonal system, you want to start on one of the back brakes first to clear out the longest line, then go to the opposite front one to finish that side of the system, and then move to the other side, also starting with the back wheel. At least that's the logic I've heard. Cheers.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 07:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

That order sounds correct and yes you always want to start furthest from the master cylinder...

Just be careful to not let the master run dry, if that happens then you need the tech tool to cycle the abs module to bled the air.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com