Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Weird Cam Sensor leak?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2012, 11:24 am
Young Cruiser

Question Weird Cam Sensor leak?

I own a 2002 PT Limited with a non-turbo 2.4L engine. I've been lurking here for a while, but since my PT is getting a little older and now needing more TLC, I thought I pick a few brains here.

First question, has anybody had a cam sensor that leaks through the part, NOT from around the seal area? Oil seems to be seeping from between where the wire connector part was plastic welded to the main base mount. I'm going to go ahead and replace it, but it seems like this shouldn't be happening. I noticed this because I just replaced the valve cover gasket because it was leaking and now that everything is all clean and spiffy, I've now noticed the remaining seep.

Another question, I also changed all my coolant hoses because of age and noticed that when they were removed from those black painted metal coolant pipes, the paint came off at the end of pipe, barely leaving enough paint for the new hoses to seal against. If I take off the hoses in the future and the rest of the paint comes off under where the hoses seal, which it probably will, will this bare area now be a corrosion magnet that will require replacement of those metal tubes? I've noticed that coolant loves to creep under the paint over time.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 11:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Weird Cam Sensor leak?

with all the cam sensor problems i read about on here, if it works ok, i would leave it alone, no? -i mean, unless it leaks bad enough where oil is staining your driveway, or you smell it.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 11:48 am
Young Cruiser

Well, the problem is that it drips down onto the coolant tubes then snakes it's way down to the wiring harness below, saturating the wires inside the protective sleeve. It's also a royal pain to have to wipe off the oil every time I drive just to keep it off those wires.

I've read all the problems everyone is having with the sensor and I'm a little hesitant to even muck with it, but I'd be sure get a Mopar part and keep the old one just in case the new one bellies up. Besides, if oil IS penetrating the innards of the sensor, how long will it keep functioning before it goes south?
Old 24 Apr 2012, 11:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

That is how they leak.
Greg, who was (or is) a tech instructor explained so.

Those hard lines always rust, my bro powdercoated mine a few years ago,
and they look pretty good still, some chips of course.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 12:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Well, what a piece of junk. Is Chrysler just being cheap or what? Plastics manufacturing should be an art by now! Should I bother to replace the sensor, or will it end up giving me more grief because Chrysler went even more tightwad on their manufacturing of replacement parts?

Thanks for the hint. I was thinking of powder coating those lines if I had to do something with them. They do look to be made of cheap steel and definitely in need of some protection from the coolant. I certainly wouldn't want to fork over the megadollars Chrysler most certainly wants to replace them.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 01:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Not to make excuses; All cars have their problems- And the PT can't be singled out!
My fav is the Mercedes 7spd valve body.

More specific to your situation:
We looked at a Lexus the other day; potting for their cam position sensors had run out and ran down front of engine.

I'd replace a PT sensor everyday and twice on Sunday relative to the Lexus-
Old 24 Apr 2012, 01:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

my newer cam sensor was made heavier than the one i took of so maybe they picked up on the seeping
Old 24 Apr 2012, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just because you had one that leaked, doesn't make them all bad. Mine the original, 11 years and 111.000 miles and no leak, no problems. The only thing that happened was the harness rubbed against something and burnt the wires.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 02:49 pm
Banned

This is a-------10 year old car---------right?

Jerry
Old 24 Apr 2012, 03:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Yeah, this is a 10 year old car, but it only has 22,000 miles on it, so it's still pretty cherry (I live in a small town and don't do a lot of long driving). I'm not knocking the PT at all. Every car manufacturer is trying to cut costs, and components are the favorite place to do it. I absolutely love my deep blue Cruiser and intend on keeping it for many more years. I've kind of grown attached to it and consider it a family member.

But I think this sensor has leaked since day one. I originally took the car in under warranty and all they replaced was the sensor seal back then. Thinking things were hunky dory, I drove for a while and checked. There was still some type of leak going on and since it appeared to be from the valve cover and it was very small, I decided I didn't want to let the dealer mangle my nice car with their hack mechanic work. No one's careful when being paid flat rate and I decided that it just wasn't worth the hassle for such a small leak. I figured that I'd do the job myself in the future because I had worked as a mechanic years ago and I was comfortable working on cars.

Well, 10 years later, I finally decided to get off my rear end and replace the valve cover gasket because it was just leaking way more than my tastes liked, most of it coming from right around those areas where that little bit of silicone sealant is put down in 6 places. The oil was only leaking from those 6 spots too, not the rest of the gasket and not even into the spark plug wells. It appeared that the oil was crawling down the sensor from the valve cover area, but after replacing the gasket, oil reappeared near the connector seam, not the gasket or seal. Soooooooooo I thought, crap, I've got to deal with another leak.

I went to the dealer today, and lo and behold, they had that sensor in stock. Shows you that if they stock something like that, it must get replaced a lot, either due to a defective design or above average failures. Cost me $61 bucks too.

And guess what? The design has been changed from the original. No more plastic weld, but instead an epoxy seal. This puppy is not going to leak from around the connector again. When I get the old one pulled tomorrow, I'll set it side by side with the new one and take a pic and post it. Any gotchas on installing the new one?