Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine vibration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2012, 07:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default engine vibration

Hi all, I love this forum and the information in it. I bought an 03 GT 5 speed in Feb. I had it a week and had to have the clutch master and slaves replaced because of blown seals. At the same time, the clutch was replaced and the flywheel surfaced. Shortly after that, the engine has developed some vibration. The vibrations are felt in the clutch and gas pedals as well as the shifter. The vibrations are engine speed dependent. Where should I start my search for the cause? The car has just under 89,000 miles on it.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 08:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: engine vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey68 View Post
Hi all, I love this forum and the information in it. I bought an 03 GT 5 speed in Feb. I had it a week and had to have the clutch master and slaves replaced because of blown seals. At the same time, the clutch was replaced and the flywheel surfaced. Shortly after that, the engine has developed some vibration. The vibrations are felt in the clutch and gas pedals as well as the shifter. The vibrations are engine speed dependent. Where should I start my search for the cause? The car has just under 89,000 miles on it.
Welcome to the forums Dew!

Be sure and put yourself on the PT Cruiser forum map in the new members section!!

As for your problem, I would check your engine and tranny mounts as well as your upper and lower engine strut mounts. Since you had the tranny removed to do the clutch, there could be a problem there with it's mount. The next is the upper and lower strut mounts, something could have happened to them since the tranny was off, the mechanic had to "suspend" one half of the engine and with that many miles on it (they can crack/fail. As well prepare to do a timing belt, crank/cam seals, idler, tentioner, water pump, etc. while your in there) could have inadvertently made those fail sooner because of the stress on them. That where I would start. Just my $0.02.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 12:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Dewy, I'm thinking they screwed up the flywheel surface, or the clutch.

Tim
Old 26 Apr 2012, 07:38 am
Regular Cruiser

I had taken the car back to the trans shop to have them look at it. The owner told me that it could be mounts or as he puts it, engine run. I don't believe that it's related to the friction surfaces on the clutch as it will continue to vibrate with the clutch pedal pushed in. I think I'm going to get plugs and wires and throw them in to eliminate misfire as a possibility.
As far as timing belt and the other goodies, I was planning on having that done next year at tax time as that would put me right around 100K miles. I don't know that I really want to take on that task myself. It's not that I'm not mechanically inclined, changed the timing belt on my '90 Sundance in the parking lot at work, I just don't want to get in over my head.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 08:53 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm thinking they screwed up the flywheel surface too!
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 09:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dude, the flywheel on these PT's CANNOT BE RESURFACED! Since you're in a GT, you have a G288 Getrag tranny, and the flywheel associated with that is a DMF, or Dual-Mass Flywheel.

Now it can be serviced, as in the damping springs can be replaced, etc., but the flywheel itself really should not ever be disassembled just to resurface it. Once that's done, I can tell you that the flywheel is going to act totally weird.

Here's an excerpt from the 04 OEM Service Manual, read that note at the bottom!

Now the only way to resurface a DMF is to totally disassemble it. All I can say at this point is, "Good luck". Whomever is servicing your tranny doesn't know shite about these type of clutch assemblies. I've spent hours going over the G288 tranny, clutch assembly and DMF on my car and I can tell you that if they touch that flywheel, it can throw off everything on your engine, it can screw up the start-set on it, it can screw up the weight of the flywheel causing an "out of round" condition that is going to add tons of shake to that engine. The flywheel moves constantly, so you'll feel the shake in your pedals all the time, it might get better at higher RPM's, or it can get worse.

I've seen at least a half dozen PT's now with both the T350 and G288 trannys where they had the flywheels resurfaced rather than buying new, and their flywheels blew to pieces causing excessive damage and requiring clutch assembly and housing replacements. You're walking on thin ice if they actually disassembled your flywheel!!!

OH, also, you say the clutch was replaced? What clutch did they use to replace it with? Most clutch assemblies that match our's comes with a flywheel kit. LUK doesn't but the people doing the work on your tranny should have told you that, and suggested replacing versus refinishing. You try to polish a DMF, unless they do it on a vibrating flat lap machine, if they cut that flywheel like you skin a rotor, then it's ruined!!!!

Lastly, if the vibration is felt beyond idle, as in you speed up and still feel it, it's NOT your engine mounts. Once you apply torque, your engine will twist in it's mounts and the only time you would feel vibrations from the mounts is letting off the gas, switching gears, and at idle. If the flywheel is out-or-round, it's a constant vibration. If it's really bad, then man at 85mph it's going to blow to pieces and take you with it!

Last edited by Chromenut; 26 Apr 2012 at 09:52 am.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

And let me tell you all - I know the G288 inside and out. I've blown mine, I've wrecked it twice, once hitting the wall just out of the starting lights on a race track, turned hard right and smashed into the retaining wall.

If you allow anyone to say they are going to resurface your flywheel then you need guarantees from them that they know what they are doing, that it will not cause a weight displacement, that it won't go out-of-round and that they will replace it for free if it does.

THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS ACT ON THEIR PART! They can cause that flywheel to blow to pieces, this is the down side of a DMF. If they resurface it as in cut into it, they just ruined it, and now your life is at risk when you're driving!!!!!! PLEASE LISTEN, THIS IS NO BS!

Never, EVER, let anyone cut into your flywheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do, then please let us know here so we can say some prayers on your behalf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26 Apr 2012, 04:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

This was not the news I wanted to hear. I have contacted the shop to get some clarification on how the resurface was done. I spoke with the owner just minutes ago and said they just buffed the glaze off the surface because it was still like new. He's agreed to take the care back and personally diagnose it for free.
I appreciate the help from everyone. It seems there are a lot of knowledgable people here.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If they just buffed it, then it may be okay and it could be something else. If they disassembled it to buff it, then it's possible the reassembly may have thrown it off a bit. It doesn't take much. The flywheel is there to counter-balance the spin on the motor, it's supposed to help even out the shake and lower the vibration, along with the gripping interface to the tranny through the clutch assembly.

What kind of warranty did they give you? If that flywheel comes apart, cracks, or grenades, you're really going to want a clear and precise warranty to back you up.

As to knowledge here, well some of us, like me, are quite OCD when it comes to our PT's. I don't do anything to mine without reading up on it first. And I mean complete and total research. You can see a portion of my technical documents library for the PT Cruiser as one of the first stickied posts in the Tech/Performance section. You can go there and download anything I have listed, all for free. I own all of the OEM service manuals for all years of the PT, and when I'm trying to help someone out, the very first thing I do (like I did here), even though I think I know an answer, is I go to my service manuals, then all my other documents, and try to make sure what I think is the answer is correct. Sometimes I'm off, but hey, I'm just trying to help! There are many members here who spend lots of time here offering their help!!! This, to me, is the BEST PT Cruiser forums on the internet!