PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2012, 08:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 troubles

Hi everyone,,i'm new to the site
While checking the coolant temp sensor,,i ran wire direct from plugin to battery,,now my engine won't start,,,is the computer damaged? Where is the computer located,,thanks for any help you can give me
Old 26 Apr 2012, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 troubles

Is your '06 an NA or a turbo? What plug-in are you talking about that you ran direct to the battery? Have you checked your fuses, there is a main buss fuse that shuts down everything? Is it even turning over, or not at all? If it's turning over but not starting, you need to do the "Key dance" and find out what error codes you're throwing. Search the forums for key dance and you'll find in the Tech section instructions on how to perform it. Basically, turn the key to the ACC position (not on), then turn to On, ACC, On, ACC, On and back one more time, then look at your odometer for the codes. By On that doesn't mean start the car. Your ignition key has four positions: Off, ACC, On, and start.

Last edited by Chromenut; 26 Apr 2012 at 09:22 am.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 09:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocko View Post
Hi everyone,,i'm new to the site
While checking the coolant temp sensor,,i ran wire direct from plugin to battery,,now my engine won't start,,,is the computer damaged? Where is the computer located,,thanks for any help you can give me
You can't check sensors with power! Not worth blowing a computer for $12 part. That said, like chrome said check your fuses. Maybe you get lucky this time. What was the original problem anyway?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Apr 2012, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Let me also comment - you're running a CAN buss system on the '06, and filtching with power like you did can actually blow your TIPM. Now replacing the TIPM is easy, time consuming, but not difficult. However, IT'S DARNED EXPENSIVE!

Bypassing your systems to apply power direct to ANY device connected to the CAN buss can also blow your main computer! So you could actually have blown both the TIPM and the PCM. Really, really could cause all kinds of damage. You're talking at minimum about $1500 in repairs!!!
Old 26 Apr 2012, 02:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice guys
My original problem was my coolant fan would not work,,car running hot if i'm stuck in traffic.
I unplugged the fan motor and checked it with a battery feed and fan worked...then i checked the 50amp fuse and it checked out ok...came in here and did some reading,,decided it must be the engine temp coolant sensor located just under the gooseneck.
What i thought would be a simple job turned into a nightmare..whoever decided to locate that unit where they did,must have rubber arms,,after maybe 30 mins i finally got that little harness plug which clicks onto the unit off...no way i could get a wrench onto it,,so i decided to put it back and maybe run a switch directly to the fan and use it when i was stuck in traffic.Before i did that my buddy showed up and said maybe if we ran two wires from the little prongs inside the sensor plug over to the battery,,the fan would come on...i thought i heard a little arc...so we decided to forget that idea...i put things back together,,went to stat the car and check to make sure the gooseneck connection wasn't leaking,,but car no go..,all systems working,,but car not making any effort to start..what you guys think?