Advertisements
Engine Oil Leak

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2012, 09:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Engine Oil Leak

The 03 GT I bought in pieces is back together, thanks in large part to all the help from the forum. It hasn't been without.....interesting happenings. Bad motor mount, separated axle, and water leaks to name a few. We have about 800 miles on the engine now after having the head shaved and installing a new timing belt, gaskets and seals. We love the performance and handling. I now have a slight oil leak on the right side of the engine. Seemed like it started within the4 last 200 miles. It's not coming down the back of the engine, but does drip out above the oil filter cooler and CV axle. I assume that I will have to pull at least the upper timing belt cover, but I wondered if there is a common place that gives us trouble? Thanks for the help. Ike

Last edited by Ikster; 26 Apr 2012 at 09:50 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 27 Apr 2012, 08:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Oil Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikster View Post
The 03 GT I bought in pieces is back together, thanks in large part to all the help from the forum. It hasn't been without.....interesting happenings. Bad motor mount, separated axle, and water leaks to name a few. We have about 800 miles on the engine now after having the head shaved and installing a new timing belt, gaskets and seals. We love the performance and handling. I now have a slight oil leak on the right side of the engine. Seemed like it started within the4 last 200 miles. It's not coming down the back of the engine, but does drip out above the oil filter cooler and CV axle. I assume that I will have to pull at least the upper timing belt cover, but I wondered if there is a common place that gives us trouble? Thanks for the help. Ike
Check the oil sending unit. It's on the back right side of the engine. These are prone to leak.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Apr 2012, 11:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks-your GT and mine could be twins! I looked for the sensor on the parts diagram and could find it. Can't seem to find it on the block either. I notice that even with the leak the dipstick is saying full. Could I have over filled it and that's the problem?
Ike
Old 28 Apr 2012, 09:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks-your GT and mine could be twins! I looked for the sensor on the parts diagram and could find it. Can't seem to find it on the block either. I notice that even with the leak the dipstick is saying full. Could I have over filled it and that's the problem?
Ike
Your dip stick would show that and that would be a whole lot of over filling. The sensor If I remember is on the backside near the oil filter. Hopefully someone will post a pick soon.
Show coming up so some are busy preparing for that I guess.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Apr 2012, 03:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Search "Oil sending unit" on this forum. A picture will show up eventually. And, yes, the oil-sending units are prone to leak a little--or send erroneous messages while at idle.

If you replace it, get a Mopar unit. Also, it's one of those replacement items that I let the dealer do. You'll see why.

Tim
Old 28 Apr 2012, 07:55 pm
Young Cruiser

According to my Chilton manual the sender is on the back left side of the engine. I did find it and it is not leaking. During the rebuild process I had the valve cover off several times. I pulled it again and it appears the leak is from the back right side in the corner where the cams are. I got a replacement gasket set which will go in tomorrow. I was wondering if I should put some sealant on with it this time? The autoparts guys told me that Turbo's put out a lot of pressure and therefore could be prone to leaking. Any thoughts on this?
Ike
Old 28 Apr 2012, 08:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
According to my Chilton manual the sender is on the back left side of the engine. I did find it and it is not leaking. During the rebuild process I had the valve cover off several times. I pulled it again and it appears the leak is from the back right side in the corner where the cams are. I got a replacement gasket set which will go in tomorrow. I was wondering if I should put some sealant on with it this time? The autoparts guys told me that Turbo's put out a lot of pressure and therefore could be prone to leaking. Any thoughts on this?
Ike
No more pressure than a n/a far as crank case pressure. Unless it is blowing by the rings. Check the how too's section for tips on the cover install.

Glad you found your leak!
UptownSport likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Apr 2012, 09:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Ike
I have the Haynes and the Chiltons. Between the two I get a PRETTY GOOD referance for most repairs. In the haynes on page 2A-5 you will find what you need. Check my link below, especially the upper right illustration # 4.9 and most importantly the info in the lower right corner in step # 9. There is also a particular sequence and inch pound torque spec that you need to use
on the cam cover bolts. If you don't have those in the Chiltons I can scan them from my Haynes and post here if needed.

PLEASE click the link below. You'll probably have to zoom in around 200 percent to see clearly.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam cover r & r.jpg (98.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by wwpptc; 28 Apr 2012 at 09:07 pm.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 05:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Smile Re: Engine Oil Leak

I did replace the valve cover gasket following the instructions and it turns out it was not the source of the leak. Not having the resources to investigate it further, I bit the bullet and took it to a local shop that I trust. They cleaned the upper engine and found nothing. Then they cleaned the bottom end and ran the engine while it was on the lift. Turns out the leak is at a place where the pan gasket and oil pump gasket meet. They couldn't tell for sure which was leaking, but said try pulling the pan and re-siliconing the gasket. Hour and a half to do it and no cost. If that does't do it then I'll have to pull the stuff at the front of the engine to get to it. At least they say it is safe to drive and there were no problems with all of the work I did. So that's a positive. Anyone had any experience with a leak like this? Thanks for all your help-it really made a difference.Ike
Old 30 Apr 2012, 09:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I did replace the valve cover gasket following the instructions and it turns out it was not the source of the leak. Not having the resources to investigate it further, I bit the bullet and took it to a local shop that I trust. They cleaned the upper engine and found nothing. Then they cleaned the bottom end and ran the engine while it was on the lift. Turns out the leak is at a place where the pan gasket and oil pump gasket meet. They couldn't tell for sure which was leaking, but said try pulling the pan and re-siliconing the gasket. Hour and a half to do it and no cost. If that does't do it then I'll have to pull the stuff at the front of the engine to get to it. At least they say it is safe to drive and there were no problems with all of the work I did. So that's a positive. Anyone had any experience with a leak like this? Thanks for all your help-it really made a difference.Ike
Sounds like your at the front crank. Seen posts about crank end play chewing up the seal.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
engine, gasket, leak, oil, seal