PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Panel covering aux belt

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Apr 2012, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 48
Default Panel covering aux belt

Hi folks,

So I'm having little luck with my PT lately...
I had the belts all changed in January and all was good for a while then the squeak came back.
The garage who tightened the alternator belt up for me it appears managed to break the plastic cover that protects the belt and tried to reattach it using a cable tie (very badly).

Now anytime I steer to a full lock the panel is swinging into the belt.

Does anyone know the tech term for this piece of panel so I can get a replacement ordered?

Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Apr 2012, 02:13 pm
manfred's Avatar
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 84
Default Re: Panel covering aux belt

It's called the "belt splash shield". You probably need the clip pins that hold it to the fender well too. That's probably how they broke it, because those little clip pins can be difficult to remove. I don't know the part numbers, but any dealer will know what you're talking about when you refer to the shield that needs to be removed in order to replace the alternator/AC belts.

Frankly, if I were you, just replace the thing yourself if you can find a way to jack up that side of the car to safely to remove the wheel to get access, save the old one as evidence, and then go back to the shop and demand they pay you for the replacement part since they broke the original. Morons.

Also a warning. If you've never jacked up your car, be SURE to put the jack under the big frame section INSIDE of the PT's rocker panel, not ON the rocker panel. It's the front square section of that wide beam-like rail just inside the pinch weld under the car. Those helpful pictures in your owner's manual show the location to jack under the rocker panel, where you will FOR SURE dent the soft sheet metal.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Apr 2012, 10:05 pm
UptownSport's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 55403
Posts: 3,912
Default Re: Panel covering aux belt

Yep, and you can get the Chrysler part numbers from Chromes posts (link in my sig)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 28 Apr 2012, 03:32 pm
mdfrodolives's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,313
Default Re: Panel covering aux belt

Make sure to save lots of money by getting your "push connectors" (those push-in plastic plug connectors that hold on your belt-splash shield) at AutoZone. The dealer wants an outrageous amount for each one, and you can get a pack of twelve at AutoZone for the same as a dealer's single-unit price. The package says they're made by Dorman for Chrysler, Ford, GM.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2012, 04:36 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 48
Default Re: Panel covering aux belt

Thanks everyone.
Being in the UK it's a slow process to get Chrysler parts at the moment (most have to be shipped over from Italy where Chrysler/Fiat now warehouse everything...) but a replacement shield and the pins should be with me on Wednesday apparently.
The garage who messed up in the first place have agreed to pay for the parts and offered to fit them as it was their mess up.
TBH I'd rather they paid and I fit the shield properly myself.

Does anyone have a guide to how to do it they can share? Or is it so simple I shouldn't go wrong?


Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred View Post
It's called the "belt splash shield". You probably need the clip pins that hold it to the fender well too. That's probably how they broke it, because those little clip pins can be difficult to remove. I don't know the part numbers, but any dealer will know what you're talking about when you refer to the shield that needs to be removed in order to replace the alternator/AC belts.

Frankly, if I were you, just replace the thing yourself if you can find a way to jack up that side of the car to safely to remove the wheel to get access, save the old one as evidence, and then go back to the shop and demand they pay you for the replacement part since they broke the original. Morons.

Also a warning. If you've never jacked up your car, be SURE to put the jack under the big frame section INSIDE of the PT's rocker panel, not ON the rocker panel. It's the front square section of that wide beam-like rail just inside the pinch weld under the car. Those helpful pictures in your owner's manual show the location to jack under the rocker panel, where you will FOR SURE dent the soft sheet metal.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2012, 07:13 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 48
Default Re: Panel covering aux belt

Just spoken to Chrysler yet again who aren't sure if the pins required are the ones they can find listed - he's described these as:

Fir tree clip type retainer, black plastic with a head about 18mm across and about 23mm overall length

Do these sound like the correct pins?

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by stek2008 View Post
Thanks everyone.
Being in the UK it's a slow process to get Chrysler parts at the moment (most have to be shipped over from Italy where Chrysler/Fiat now warehouse everything...) but a replacement shield and the pins should be with me on Wednesday apparently.
The garage who messed up in the first place have agreed to pay for the parts and offered to fit them as it was their mess up.
TBH I'd rather they paid and I fit the shield properly myself.

Does anyone have a guide to how to do it they can share? Or is it so simple I shouldn't go wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2012, 08:31 pm
UptownSport's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 55403
Posts: 3,912
Default Re: Panel covering aux belt

Yes, Christmas tree fasteners-
The important measurement is the 'tree' diameter.

I'd assume local auto parts shops would have them, as mdfrodolives suggested, even in England
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2012, 07:05 am
davea300's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Scotland UK
Posts: 306
Default Re: Panel covering aux belt

Since you are in the UK, try Halfords for packs of those plastic pins. They sell them in various sizes. I had some laying around my garage that fitted when I last took off that splash shield. Got them in Halfords. Like uptown said it's the diameter that counts, as long as they are wide enough they will hold the sheild in place. I beleive halfords refer to them as plastic rivets or fasteners.

p.s. I'd go in rather than look on their web site as not all the smaller items like these seem to appear on their site.
__________________
2005 2.4 PT CRUISER (UK SPEC)
Short ram intake, chrome grill, chrome belt line, drilled/slotted discs, few flames, engine dress up, chrome bits and pieces.
67,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2012, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 48
Default Re: Panel covering aux belt

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Yes, Christmas tree fasteners-
The important measurement is the 'tree' diameter.

I'd assume local auto parts shops would have them, as mdfrodolives suggested, even in England
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2012, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 48
Default Re: Panel covering aux belt

Good call, thanks - will take a look if I can't get them along with the shield.
As the garage who broke it are paying I don't mind the cost this time - but might be an idea to have a spare pack of the Halfords ones in the garage too


Quote:
Originally Posted by davea300 View Post
Since you are in the UK, try Halfords for packs of those plastic pins. They sell them in various sizes. I had some laying around my garage that fitted when I last took off that splash shield. Got them in Halfords. Like uptown said it's the diameter that counts, as long as they are wide enough they will hold the sheild in place. I beleive halfords refer to them as plastic rivets or fasteners.

p.s. I'd go in rather than look on their web site as not all the smaller items like these seem to appear on their site.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
panel van WaynePV PT Cruiser Convertible Forum 23 21 Oct 2014 09:23 pm
Belt chirp even with new belt and tensioner imalittleturt Tech & Performance Forum 5 22 Jan 2012 10:31 pm
Hot A/C Panel jmcateer PT Cruiser Convertible Forum 4 11 Oct 2011 08:48 pm
Belt change help - Not timing belt skfloyd Tech & Performance Forum 2 23 Apr 2010 11:23 am
PT Panel Hudd General PT Cruiser Discussions 10 04 Feb 2008 10:30 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors