PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Panel covering aux belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2012, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Panel covering aux belt

Hi folks,

So I'm having little luck with my PT lately...
I had the belts all changed in January and all was good for a while then the squeak came back.
The garage who tightened the alternator belt up for me it appears managed to break the plastic cover that protects the belt and tried to reattach it using a cable tie (very badly).

Now anytime I steer to a full lock the panel is swinging into the belt.

Does anyone know the tech term for this piece of panel so I can get a replacement ordered?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 27 Apr 2012, 02:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Panel covering aux belt

It's called the "belt splash shield". You probably need the clip pins that hold it to the fender well too. That's probably how they broke it, because those little clip pins can be difficult to remove. I don't know the part numbers, but any dealer will know what you're talking about when you refer to the shield that needs to be removed in order to replace the alternator/AC belts.

Frankly, if I were you, just replace the thing yourself if you can find a way to jack up that side of the car to safely to remove the wheel to get access, save the old one as evidence, and then go back to the shop and demand they pay you for the replacement part since they broke the original. Morons.

Also a warning. If you've never jacked up your car, be SURE to put the jack under the big frame section INSIDE of the PT's rocker panel, not ON the rocker panel. It's the front square section of that wide beam-like rail just inside the pinch weld under the car. Those helpful pictures in your owner's manual show the location to jack under the rocker panel, where you will FOR SURE dent the soft sheet metal.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 10:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yep, and you can get the Chrysler part numbers from Chromes posts (link in my sig)
Old 28 Apr 2012, 03:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Make sure to save lots of money by getting your "push connectors" (those push-in plastic plug connectors that hold on your belt-splash shield) at AutoZone. The dealer wants an outrageous amount for each one, and you can get a pack of twelve at AutoZone for the same as a dealer's single-unit price. The package says they're made by Dorman for Chrysler, Ford, GM.

Tim
Old 08 May 2012, 04:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone.
Being in the UK it's a slow process to get Chrysler parts at the moment (most have to be shipped over from Italy where Chrysler/Fiat now warehouse everything...) but a replacement shield and the pins should be with me on Wednesday apparently.
The garage who messed up in the first place have agreed to pay for the parts and offered to fit them as it was their mess up.
TBH I'd rather they paid and I fit the shield properly myself.

Does anyone have a guide to how to do it they can share? Or is it so simple I shouldn't go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred View Post
It's called the "belt splash shield". You probably need the clip pins that hold it to the fender well too. That's probably how they broke it, because those little clip pins can be difficult to remove. I don't know the part numbers, but any dealer will know what you're talking about when you refer to the shield that needs to be removed in order to replace the alternator/AC belts.

Frankly, if I were you, just replace the thing yourself if you can find a way to jack up that side of the car to safely to remove the wheel to get access, save the old one as evidence, and then go back to the shop and demand they pay you for the replacement part since they broke the original. Morons.

Also a warning. If you've never jacked up your car, be SURE to put the jack under the big frame section INSIDE of the PT's rocker panel, not ON the rocker panel. It's the front square section of that wide beam-like rail just inside the pinch weld under the car. Those helpful pictures in your owner's manual show the location to jack under the rocker panel, where you will FOR SURE dent the soft sheet metal.
Old 08 May 2012, 07:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just spoken to Chrysler yet again who aren't sure if the pins required are the ones they can find listed - he's described these as:

Fir tree clip type retainer, black plastic with a head about 18mm across and about 23mm overall length

Do these sound like the correct pins?

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by stek2008 View Post
Thanks everyone.
Being in the UK it's a slow process to get Chrysler parts at the moment (most have to be shipped over from Italy where Chrysler/Fiat now warehouse everything...) but a replacement shield and the pins should be with me on Wednesday apparently.
The garage who messed up in the first place have agreed to pay for the parts and offered to fit them as it was their mess up.
TBH I'd rather they paid and I fit the shield properly myself.

Does anyone have a guide to how to do it they can share? Or is it so simple I shouldn't go wrong?
Old 08 May 2012, 08:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yes, Christmas tree fasteners-
The important measurement is the 'tree' diameter.

I'd assume local auto parts shops would have them, as mdfrodolives suggested, even in England
Old 09 May 2012, 07:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Since you are in the UK, try Halfords for packs of those plastic pins. They sell them in various sizes. I had some laying around my garage that fitted when I last took off that splash shield. Got them in Halfords. Like uptown said it's the diameter that counts, as long as they are wide enough they will hold the sheild in place. I beleive halfords refer to them as plastic rivets or fasteners.

p.s. I'd go in rather than look on their web site as not all the smaller items like these seem to appear on their site.
Old 09 May 2012, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Yes, Christmas tree fasteners-
The important measurement is the 'tree' diameter.

I'd assume local auto parts shops would have them, as mdfrodolives suggested, even in England
Old 09 May 2012, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Good call, thanks - will take a look if I can't get them along with the shield.
As the garage who broke it are paying I don't mind the cost this time - but might be an idea to have a spare pack of the Halfords ones in the garage too

Quote:
Originally Posted by davea300 View Post
Since you are in the UK, try Halfords for packs of those plastic pins. They sell them in various sizes. I had some laying around my garage that fitted when I last took off that splash shield. Got them in Halfords. Like uptown said it's the diameter that counts, as long as they are wide enough they will hold the sheild in place. I beleive halfords refer to them as plastic rivets or fasteners.

p.s. I'd go in rather than look on their web site as not all the smaller items like these seem to appear on their site.