Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0340 error code and wont start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2012, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0340 error code and wont start.

Ok so I've been having another issue with my '05 Cruiser. Here's the story.

After picking up my daughter from school and heading home it decided to just quit. Pulled it off to the side of the road and tried to start it back up. Nothing. Got it home and got the battery tested. It was completely dead. Go a new battery and pulled the code and it came up with p0340. Looked up that code online and it said it was the camshaft position sensor. Got one, replaced it, and it still doesn't want to start. The only thing left that I can think of is the alternator. Please please please tell me it's not the alternator. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions???
Old 27 Apr 2012, 01:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: P0340 error code and wont start.

That code indicates a problem with the camshaft sensor circuit, which may be caused by an actual wiring harness problem. You need to check out all the wiring that leads from the sensor back to where it goes behind the engine and make sure nothing is broken or rubbed through anywhere. A lot of that wiring is not secured very well and can come loose and rub on things back there. I especially love that damn black tape Chrysler used to tie up everything, from wire harnesses to heater hoses. It either drys out and falls apart, or, if it gets in contact with oil, melts into a gooey mess.

Also, did you check that magnet behind the cam sensor when you replaced it, like little broken pieces floating around loose in the area behind the camshaft?
Old 27 Apr 2012, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

...also, I hope you replace the sensor with one from the dealer. it cost a bit more but our PT's don't like aftermarket electrical parts as they soon stop working or don't work well from the start.

Can't agree more on the wiring harness of the camshaft sensor. Cheap plastic piece broke off on mine and let the harness hang low enough to touch the spinning half shaft where it eventually wore through and burnt the wires. 11:30 at night in the middle of South Carolina on Route #95. Thanks to the guy who invented cell phone and Chevron Auto Club.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 03:05 pm
Young Cruiser

I've also noticed that the wiring rubs on that mount casting that holds the back of the intake manifold up. It has some sharp edges from the casting process. There's also the EGR tube that gets hot. Might do a pretty good job of melting loose wires.

Ya know, A LOT of the wiring kind of hangs back there, flapping in the breeze behind the engine, with very few support points. Did some of my own securing when I did my recent valve cover job.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 28 Apr 2012, 11:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I'll look at everything and see what i can come up with. It makes sense about the wiring getting screwed up preventing it from starting. I'll check that stuff out and let you know what I come up with. =)
Old 28 Apr 2012, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Also, I did replace the part sensor with one from the chrysler dealership. 75 bucks. Wasn't too thrilled but if it keeps the car running then, you have to do it. LoL.