[HELP!] Problem with jacking up the motor

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By compdr59
  • 1 Post By UptownSport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2012, 03:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default [HELP!] Problem with jacking up the motor

I'm in an attempt to take off the timing belt and I got stuck in taking off the right (passenger side) center engine mount. Everything seems not budging! Here's some problems I want to ask:

1. Do I start jacking up the engine after taking off the T55 TORX bolt? (I've remove upper and lower torque strut, they're pretty easy)

2. Do I have to do something to the left engine mount (driver side) before jacking up the engine? If not, how high can I go without damaging something from the left side? I know someone in another thread said he had to jack a "good
6" before he can take any bolts off". That sounds scary.

3. I felt a tremendous amount of resistant when trying to unscrew the T55 TORX bolt and by the moment I still can't screw it off, is that normal or my engine is simply not at the right height to release weight from it?

Thanks for answering! I'm getting frustrated by now, it's been 4 days.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 05:56 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: [HELP!] Problem with jacking up the motor

The engine is not going to move until you release the Torx bolt. You should have a jack supporting the engine before removing, but it's not stopping the bolt from turning. Additionally, I removed the bolts to the transmission mount to allow a better angle to access the front of the engine. When raising the passenger side, watch your cables and hoses. I jacked mine as high as possible before it started to raise the vehicle.
XtrmDC2 likes this.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 08:50 am
Veteran Cruiser

Don't get frustrated; this totally SUCKS!!!!

You'll need to loosen the exhaust- THis will allow engine to go WAY up.

Ensure you follow one wise member's suggestion, start engine before you bless off
timing, it sucks to do this twice.
XtrmDC2 likes this.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 09:27 am
Dedicated Cruiser

You'll need to disconnect the exhaust downpipe and the tranny mount ( driver side )...but the best way is to use two jacks, one under the oil pan and the other under the tranny, so you can lower the tranny side and raise the timing belt side way up.
Old 05 May 2012, 03:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everybody for all the useful advises, I finally did it yesterday afternoon. Now I'll wait for my cylinder head to be resurfaced and then put everything back, it'll be another challenge!
Old 28 Aug 2012, 06:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAFnemesis View Post
Thanks everybody for all the useful advises, I finally did it yesterday afternoon. Now I'll wait for my cylinder head to be resurfaced and then put everything back, it'll be another challenge!
So how bad was that procedure? I might have mashed valves, and I'm thinking of getting a rebuilt cylinder head from headsonly.com. $375 (plus timing belt/water pump) and my own effort seems like a fair price to restore life to my car.

I can do the timing belt OK, but I haven't removed a cylinder head yet. Did you have to discharge the A/C system, or could you work around it?

EDIT: Added uncertainty as to whether valves are mashed.

-Snags

Last edited by Snags; 28 Aug 2012 at 07:44 pm.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Snags......No need to discharge the AC. Just be careful when pushing and pulling on the aluminum tubes.

Basically unbolt if from the engine and support it with bungee cord. I used Avis strap to support mine. I also removed the rear power steering bracket and supported the pump with strap,as well.

Be sure when you jack the engine up to check and make sure the alternator and or bracket clear the AC accumulator that is mounted to the fire wall.

It is mentioned on one of stickys, but after disconnecting the exhaust system from the flange on the exhaust manifold there is a bolt that connects the heat shield to the engine block. It is actually pretty easy to get to if you hand are small enough to get into the space. You will need to disconnect it if you are planning on removing the head and the exhaust manifold in one piece, which is I found to be the easiest way todo it.

Last edited by dtrott; 28 Aug 2012 at 08:41 pm.

Tags
engine mount, timing belt