Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cold Air Intake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2012, 03:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Cold Air Intake

I see a lot of cruisers with CAI's in. My question is this, what happens to the PCV hoses etc and the air temp sensor that plugs into the breather box duct work? I know there is a performance gain from doing the swap. . .
Old 29 Apr 2012, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cold Air Intake

IF you decide to do one of the expensive CAI kits, they come with holes in them to plug in the IAT and vacuum line that was in the OEM air filter hose.

Again, if you put one in, either a KIT or short ram, don't expect any kind of a kick-in-the-butt kind of increase. The most, maybe 5 to 8 hp which is something you won't feel. You will hear a lot more noise which is the air being sucked into the throttle body which might give you the impression of more power. The only thing I noticed (added the short ram) is that the engine seems to respond better from a standing start going all the way to red line without bogging down.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 08:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK! Sounds good. Yes, I do have my dream vision if you will regarding this car. Now, all I need to do is win the lottery . Hey, a guy can dream cant he ?
Old 30 Apr 2012, 07:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptcruisershort View Post
I see a lot of cruisers with CAI's in. My question is this, what happens to the PCV hoses etc and the air temp sensor that plugs into the breather box duct work? I know there is a performance gain from doing the swap. . .
If you get a new intake pipe for the cruiser they usually come with holes for the hose and sensor. Mine did and I got the whole kit off ebay. Like CREWZIN has said you notice the noise more than anything else but I like the way it looks in the engine bay. Here's an older photo of mine:

Old 30 Apr 2012, 10:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davea300 View Post
Like CREWZIN has said you notice the noise more than anything
besides the added noise.. i noticed i have slightly less low end torque but the engine seems to come alive and pull harder from 4,000 to redline. also right around 4,500rpms the engine gets significantly louder like my prelude does when the vtec kicks in. also i definitely get slightly better gas mileage. mine is a 2001 so YMMV.