Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine bay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine bay?

i see alot of you cruiser that your engine top or bay, (im not a big car geek) is different colors, basically what im talking about is the plastic thing you have to remove in order to change the spark plugs. can anyone direct me to the place to purchase a red one?
Old 30 Apr 2012, 12:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Engine bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEmma View Post
i see alot of you cruiser that your engine top or bay, (im not a big car geek) is different colors, basically what im talking about is the plastic thing you have to remove in order to change the spark plugs. can anyone direct me to the place to purchase a red one?
Yes, they come inside aerosol cans that can be found in any local auto parts store. They are available in many differant colors-------------------------------------JK, what I'm saying is, we paint them and you can to.

By the way, brace yourself, Chromenut is heading to this thread at the speed of light as we speak---and rightly so.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 30 Apr 2012 at 01:01 pm.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 01:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

really? i've seen some with chrome trim aswell. well i'll have to look into that. any suggestions on what exctly to use?
Old 30 Apr 2012, 02:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEmma View Post
really? i've seen some with chrome trim aswell. well i'll have to look into that. any suggestions on what exctly to use?
Hopefully, as I said, Chromenut or even Candyman will be here shortly to give the lowdown on how they painted theirs. Chromenuts looked fantastic.

That chrome trim was probably "hand applied silver paint" if it was on the intake itself.

Some of us have painted the intake itself and some have painted the "vanity covers" that are put onto the top of the intakes. I painted the vanity cover on mine. You'll probably get some responces here about both.

I've got to run now, but I'll be back later to do a "show and tell" on how I did mine. I know you can hardly wait. Right now I've got to meet the wife at the "Mexicali" restaurant. I LOVE margaritas!!!

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 30 Apr 2012 at 02:59 pm. Reason: I have a tummy ache.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 05:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Now here's some really cool painted PT modesty covers.

ptcruisersofsandiego.myfreeforum.org :: The Aussie Engine Modesty Cover

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 30 Apr 2012, 05:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've been running without the modesty cover simply because when I used to race, I removed anything off the engine bay that held heat, and the modesty cover happens to be a big time heat holder.

Now I'm getting ready to cut a custom design into the cover so that my painted intake shows up through the cutout.

Here's a pic of the engine bay - mind you it was cleaned and stripped, two layers of that plastic adhesing stuff that helps paint stick to plastic, then 8 coats of faux aluminum (engine paint), then three coats of cobalt blue stipes on the cooling fins, then 12 coats of engine bay clearcoat.

One thing, that danged clearcoat after about two years turns sort of a honey color, so the manifold looks like pewter now instead of brushed aluminum. Regardless, it turned out beautifully but requires a lot of maintenance to keep the paint colors as lively as they are shown in this photo:

All those yellow pieces for maintenance, soon those will also be a brushed aluminum look to them.