Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 despair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2012, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 despair

Hi everyone, I've been a lurker on here for several years but now I need help or advice. Long drawn out history ahead.

I have a 2006 non turbo. It has 85,000 miles on it.

March of 2011 I had to replace the radiator. It was the only time the temp went into the red as I pulled it into my driveway. Everything was fine until mid summer and and it started running hot, never overheating, the highest it made it was to the 3/4 mark and went down immediately when the heater was turned on.

July 2011 had the thermostat changed. Still would run hot unless heat on. Change radiator cap. Still ran hot with unless heater on.

Always refilled with HOAT 50/50.

By now we are into the fall and not so much of an issue cause it is cooler then cold out.

Then the check engine light comes on. Sometimes its code P304, sometimes 303 sometimes 302 etc. Mainly 304.

Change plugs, change wires, would go for a while and then codes come back.

New battery (battery bad so it needed changed).

Codes come back but car runs good, not great but starts everytime. Still having to run heat.

Finally take it to shop to be fixed. Water pump leaking so had them change the timing belt at same time. Few hoses with leaks nothing major had them change those too.

One head gasket a little bent so went ahead and had that changed too.

They changed the plugs and wires again cause the ones we had put on were gummed up. They cleaned the engine. They checked the thermostat and it was rating right. They drove it around a few days and never heated up on them.

It was still colder weather but seemed fine when I drove it. Until a few weeks later, started running hot again unless i turned on the heater.

Had a guy i work with check it and we let it sit idling for and hour and it never heated up to the half mark. Drove it home and it heated up and over half mark until i turned the heat on.

I was suffering with the heat since the temps outside were in the 40s and 50s but now that it is in the 70s and 80s I would like to use the AC.

It goes thru antifreeze constantly. The over flow is never empty but the radiator needs refilled after I drive it across town.

NOW the check engine light has come back on and the P304 code is back and it tried not to start.

I was just about to change the fans on it when the codes came back. Now I'm just depressed and wonder if it's worth it to sink more money into it.

Any advice or should I just get a gun and put it out of my misery.

I will say that the shop I took it too has always done a great job on any car I have taken to them and really treat me right in showing me what they are doing to my car.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 despair

If your constantly filling up the radiator, that's you first priority. Check thoroughly for leaks and if there is none, expect the worst with another blown head gasket, warped head or cracked head. That's where the excess antifreeze goes when you can't find it elsewhere. Most of your problems (0302, 0303, 0304 and having to turn on the heater) will go away when you find your water disappearing mystery.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 06 despair

Thank you for the fast reply. Will see if the shop guys can get me in again and find the leak. I can't find it myself that's for sure.