PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo & Manual

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2012, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo & Manual

Alrighty folks. I have an 07 touring edition i think it is...im fixing it up and a little...i need to know what aftermarket companies make turbo's for these things? I've checked hks and couldnt find anything which dont mean that they dont. And i am also looking to replace the transmission to a manual...trust me i know its possible just have to find the tranny...anybody know of a wrecked pt with all the parts or where i can buy one aftermarket? any help on this would be great thanks.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 09:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo & Manual

If you're starting with a PT that's not even turbo'd from the factory, and even worse an automatic, it'd just be cheaper to sell your car and buy a GT or Turbo Lite.
XtrmDC2 and Busted_PT like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 30 Apr 2012, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thats what i was thinking BUT...me and some friends are actually planning on rebuilding the engine...so i was just wondering what some companies are that offer these products so i can see what im looking at out the door....i hate to go to a junk yard cuz thats probably a disaster waiting to happen
Old 30 Apr 2012, 11:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

AGP for one.

You could also go with a Stage 3 turbo with toys but of course it'll be used (found on SRTForums).

Really though it all depends on your goals.

I went with an Enforcer-equivalent upgrade of a 16g 36lb wheel in a ported stock turbo housing (the TD04LR) with ported exhaust manifold with elbow replaced. As much power as it put out, I didn't even have to pull off the head or do any engine work.

You'll also want to upgrade your intercooler (no, SRT-4 intercooler doesn't fit directly), injectors, hell even your MAP/TIP sensors with 3bar, and of course get a rescale for all those things.

If going with a big turbo, go with 3" piping all the way back to include 3" o2 housing and 3" downpipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 30 Apr 2012, 11:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OH NO NO NO.... that NA engine will never hold up to a Staged turbo! If you get past about 14 pounds of boost on an NA, you're going to grenade the engine!!! There is an entire thread here in the vendor section on Turbos, and the gentleman that runs that business is basically a turbo expert.

You can convert any engine to a turbo. BUT, remember it's not made to stand the kind of boost that you're going to be pumping into it.
Old 01 May 2012, 12:39 am
Banned

Chris 15 with help of a freind or two did both of the things you're asking about. After some problems, he will be putting it back on the road soon.

Check out this link. Please read EVERY post.

Time to finish the project!.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 01 May 2012 at 12:41 am. Reason: I turned off the light in the den.
Old 01 May 2012, 12:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks for the reference Jerry.

Tips:

1) If you're running an automatic, forget about it.
2) It's a lot of hard work.
3) You have a ton of researching to do.

Also, just to add another word of caution-- I know someone said something about boosting past 14psi-- if it were me, I wouldn't even go past 10psi on an N/A motor unless you're itching to replace it. Mine gave out without a hint prior to failing..

Old 01 May 2012, 03:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Thanks for the reference Jerry.

Tips:

1) If you're running an automatic, forget about it.
2) It's a lot of hard work.
3) You have a ton of researching to do.

Also, just to add another word of caution-- I know someone said something about boosting past 14psi-- if it were me, I wouldn't even go past 10psi on an N/A motor unless you're itching to replace it. Mine gave out without a hint prior to failing..
Chris15, I'm new here and I see where you've put "2.4L w/ SRT internals" in your description. I've heard the GT and the srt4 have the same internals. So it's still a GT engine, correct?
Old 01 May 2012, 06:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yep, mine's actually a Stratus block with a PT crank and SRT-4 pistons and rods.

Old 01 May 2012, 06:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Yep, mine's actually a Stratus block with a PT crank and SRT-4 pistons and rods.

Interesting combo, how's it run?