PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anybody ever...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2012, 10:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman
Default Anybody ever...

Has anybody ever tried taking the AWD system out of an Avenger and Frankensteining it into a PT? Would there be any performance value to it, could it handle the power of a heavily modded turbo PT pushing 400-500 horses? I've just been thinking about what I can do to my PT and this potentially insane thought popped into my head.
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 01 May 2012, 06:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Anybody ever...

If you have the money, you can do anything. Your really dreaming when think of a heavy modded PT at 400-500hp. They aren't PT's any more except the shell. They're modified drag racers for running gear with a PT body...and yes it's been talked about it before on the forum with loads of pictures that people found on the web. A search should bring up the old posts.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 May 2012, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

400-500hp now thats some big time dollars right there
Old 01 May 2012, 12:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Guy's 2.4's on Neon Boards would do that-
They'd have to use ATX's because 5speeds couldn't hold power.
As these two already said, it'll cost you $$$$$, but what you really need is knowledge, experience and tooling / Machines.

Adding 4WD will get you great traction, BUT you'll need more HP to push the weight and parasitic losses.

Do what you can to your PT now, without spending anything but a nominal amount of $$- And Read, and think.

Then look at 2002Gold's v-6 swap thread. I couldn't do anything he's done-
letalone the entire project! so I don't even think about it!!
Old 01 May 2012, 12:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

With the amount of money you'd spend converting to AWD, you could build up a bullet-proof 2.4L (or even stroke it to 2.6) with a decent-sized turbo and see 500hp. It's not uncommon for SRT guys to do it. There are a handful of PTs who are sitting in the 400hp+ club.

It really comes down to what your goal is. If you want something unique, then yeah, pursue the AWD route. But there are plenty of ways to make power and how much you can make depends primarily on how deep your pockets are.

Old 02 May 2012, 06:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
With the amount of money you'd spend converting to AWD, you could build up a bullet-proof 2.4L (or even stroke it to 2.6) with a decent-sized turbo and see 500hp. It's not uncommon for SRT guys to do it. There are a handful of PTs who are sitting in the 400hp+ club.

It really comes down to what your goal is. If you want something unique, then yeah, pursue the AWD route. But there are plenty of ways to make power and how much you can make depends primarily on how deep your pockets are.
That's kinda what I was thinking about doing, boring out the block, adding a crank with longer stroke, beefier fuel pump, higher capacity injectors, functional ram air scoop, forges pistons rods and crankshaft, a hairier cam, dual turbo, re-flash the PCM with custom firmware, stainless brake lines, upgraded brakes (Brembo or other), of course, right now I'm just in the dreaming stage, but AWD seems like a cool idea. I know you can buy a better car for what I would probably be putting into the PT (even with doing most/all of the work myself), but let's face it, these things have nothing going for them in the engine dept. Crappy gas mileage and no power (I can do without one or the other). I mean, I can get a V8 truck with twice the power and torque that gets better mileage than these. However, my biggest drive is to spank all the kiddies with their rice burners and show them that the PT can be turned into something freaking epic.

@ Crewzin, I did a search using the term "AWD" and came up with nothing, then did a search for "All Wheel Drive" which brought up the same results as "All Wheel Drive PT Cruiser" which was a bunch of threads about wheel bearings and other such topics. If you could suggest a better search term or point me in the direction of these threads you were talking about I would be most grateful.
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off

Last edited by Ironman; 02 May 2012 at 06:52 pm.