Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT won't get out of second gear afyer I changed the timing belt on it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2012, 08:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT won't get out of second gear afyer I changed the timing belt on it

I have been messing with this car for 5 months now. Reading the books tearing it apart to do t he timing belt. I love my car changed the motor mounts water pump the pulleys and tensioners and the belts. I work third shift so had to do it on my weekends hubby couldn't really help. well got the car together runs great in park but when I took it up on the highway she kicks into second hard and won't shift up. I am hoping I didn't do any damage when jacking up and down the engine really want her on the road since I got a new fender for her and light housing please any ideas would be great.
Old 01 May 2012, 09:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT won't get out of second gear afyer I changed the timing belt on it

Tracy,

I'm no mechanic, in fact you sound more like one than I'll ever be, but the tranny shouldn't have anything to do with what work you've done. You either knocked something loose or off, maybe of the trans solenoid or some vacuum line when the car was jacked up. Are there any codes showing up or does the engine light come on to show there's a problem? Did you have the battery disconnected while doing all the work? If not, resetting the computer by disconnecting it now might help, couldn't hurt.

Hopefully someone will come along and give you some other advice.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 May 2012, 09:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: PT won't get out of second gear afyer I changed the timing belt on it

I had the battery out for the fives nonths replaced that too. I am trying to clear the codes again I get a 0700. 300 and one for the battery I know the 300 is because it's missing I did the tune up and raditaor before the belt went. I will check again to see if anything loose on the car just in case the trans is only three years old as the engine. I am not a mechanic but I read alot to find out how to do things and and bug peoples ears at work. I love working on my cars. thank you
Old 01 May 2012, 10:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I really think what CREWZIN said is the right place to start. Check all vac hoses and electrical connections. Or sensors and or wiring. Let us know what you find.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 May 2012, 10:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

my good advice: i would check the vacuum lines, physically mess with all the connectors, and specifically double check everything by the transmission control module on the left frame rail, and triple check the fluid level(with the car running, right?).

my bad advice: i have had dumb luck fixing problems like this by standing on the gas pedal with no remorse. flooring the car until it hits the rev limiter in second may make it shift. sometimes things just need to be freed up or like a little abuse. i mean, it has been sitting for five months.
Old 01 May 2012, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
my good advice: i would check the vacuum lines, physically mess with all the connectors, and specifically double check everything by the transmission control module on the left frame rail, and triple check the fluid level(with the car running, right?).

my bad advice: i have had dumb luck fixing problems like this by standing on the gas pedal with no remorse. flooring the car until it hits the rev limiter in second may make it shift. sometimes things just need to be freed up or like a little abuse. i mean, it has been sitting for five months.
I've never seen anybody fix one with the gas pedal. Only seen them need to do more work!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 May 2012, 11:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I've never seen anybody fix one with the gas pedal. Only seen them need to do more work!
It's called; "Throttle Tuning", and the operators are "Throttle Tuners"!!!

I don't even have an elementary understanding of ATX controls and inputs-
Does the trans even use vacuum? Or just gets a read off MAP sensor?

IF it were mine, I'd ask Chromenut for a line on a "FSM", and follow troubleshooting guidelines. You'll get your hearts desire of automotive info!

If it were really mine- I'd swap in an MTX, but no one here drives a jalopy
Old 01 May 2012, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm back again with more thoughts since you didn't say at first that you had a code p0700. That's the generic code for the senors saying you have something wrong with the transaxle (you already knew that) BUT, now you need a better tool, like a scanner (OBDII) to pinpoint exactly what's wrong. That's the only way I know of getting deeper into the trouble codes to dig up the real problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 May 2012, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did the battery thing engine light off so drove it up the road got to 60 then shifted hard then it got stuck again I am thinking maybe I put the cooler lines on backwards trans is hot and so is the hoses. does any one know which hose on the driverside goes where. thank you
Old 01 May 2012, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

heres the thing I have always had the 700 code due to the trans being rebuilt. I checked thoses code readers man they cost alot. thinking of taking a slow drive with four ways on t o napa at least I don't have to ride the highway with her.