Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with guages for non turbo Cruiszr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2012, 03:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Help with guages for non turbo Cruiszr

I see a lot of threads about guages for the turbo engine which I do not have but would like to add some gauges to my N/A Cruiszr.

Can anyone tell me what guages are available for me to install in my Cruiszr and was hoping some of you could help me out.

As I have an 2nd gen. Cruiszr I will have to make or modify an "A" pillar post to house any guages that I install so it's important to know what's available.

I sure that are a few N/A Cruiser's with various gauges installed and would appreciate you sharing your mods.

Thanks

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi
Old 01 May 2012, 04:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous
Default Re: Help with guages for non turbo Cruiszr

depends how crazy you want to go

The Mean Tangerine: Pteazer Smoothie front fascia, Roadster grill, and Retro real roll pan, dual exhaust, 17" Momo wheels, Eibach lowering kit, 2005 intake, bov, 5 speed manual tranny, painted door pillars, altezza tail lights, hurst short shift kit, hard pipes, halo fog lights and stage 1 computer and injectors
Old 01 May 2012, 04:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeous View Post

OMG I AM SO LMAO!!!

Gauges for the turbo, for those who are 'real' drivers, are used for monitoring and tweaking your ECU programming. You have to be careful with Fuel/Air mixtures or you can grenade your engine, so you need an AFR, or preferably a widebands, or get you an AEM UEGO Wideband, one of the best out there and yet reasonably priced. Turbos also need to monitor boost levels, as the engine is not made to handle more than 20 pounds, so a boost gauge is an excellent idea.

Now for an NA, Fuel/Air mixture is also important in tuning your car. I can't really say what else I'd be interested in unless you're just going for looks. I mean you can go with oil pressure or temp, and all kinds of gauges.

Personally, I tune my PT with an AEM UEGO and boost gauge. However, I only use them while tuning as I save my tune with my DSP. So my gauges are temporary, I don't need to see them unless I'm racing, and I've given up on that after my wreck. So seldom will my gauges be in my car. When I do make runs, like up on the Tail of the Dragon, I keep my DSP plugged into my laptop and I log my runs so I can see how my engine is responding to the twists and turns at altitude. It's really kind of cool, I can tweak adjustments after each run, but when I come back down I dump that tune and put my modified 93 tune back in. So simple using a DSP, always has been one of my favorite toys....
Old 01 May 2012, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And by the way, for your app, Summit sells some great AutoMeter gauges that have all kinds of cool faces on them. They are really nice gauges.
Old 01 May 2012, 08:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The main reason for wanting the guages was appearance inside the car.

The PT that I see at the car show have made most of the mods to their cars to make them look as unique as possible to reflect what the owners idea of a "COOL" Cruiser looks like. That is my main motivation for wanting the guages, is show.

Surely there are a few owner that have install guages in a non turbo just for look

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi
Old 01 May 2012, 08:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have a second gen with gauges. The pod I have is a pillar replacement. From glowshift.com. I have a volt and a vacumm in mine non turbo. And loove em. If u go to that site look nto the elite 10 series. That's what I'm running.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120406-00010.jpg (94.2 KB, 15 views)
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 01 May 2012, 08:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeous View Post

2x What Chrome said! Good lord! Must be 1 gauge per sensor for the car then the computer is there so you can adjust while driving! LOL!

BTW- The button on the right is to deploy the wings.
Old 01 May 2012, 09:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Gauges that are actually useful for monitoring the engine condition and changes over time that may signal motor wear problems:
vacuum gauge (can reveal valve and ring problems)
oil pressure gauge
oil temperature (car already has water temperature gauge)
voltmeter