PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
head problem?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2012, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question head problem?

Would like to get some thoughts on a problem. I have a 2002 cruiser with the 2.4l with a 604 transmission. There is dtc po303 misfire cyl. 3. I replaced plugs,wires,coil and fuel inj. for #3 cyl. Code is still there. Done a compression test on that cyl. and it was only around 90. The other ones was around 180 to 190. I have been told that its a head problem.The car has just over 125k.This started out with rough idle at a stop in gear every now and then, but ran fine once moving. I never have had a overheating problem, only some oil usage every so often. When i got the car i was told that the water pump and timing belt had been replaced but don't know for sure. I rebuild transmissions for a living now for about 28 years, but when it comes to this I know my limitations. Any thoughts on this I would appreciate.
Old 03 May 2012, 09:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: head problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellfin300 View Post
Would like to get some thoughts on a problem. I have a 2002 cruiser with the 2.4l with a 604 transmission. There is dtc po303 misfire cyl. 3. I replaced plugs,wires,coil and fuel inj. for #3 cyl. Code is still there. Done a compression test on that cyl. and it was only around 90. The other ones was around 180 to 190. I have been told that its a head problem.The car has just over 125k.This started out with rough idle at a stop in gear every now and then, but ran fine once moving. I never have had a overheating problem, only some oil usage every so often. When i got the car i was told that the water pump and timing belt had been replaced but don't know for sure. I rebuild transmissions for a living now for about 28 years, but when it comes to this I know my limitations. Any thoughts on this I would appreciate.
You already know the answer. Ether a valve or more than likely head or head gasket.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 May 2012, 05:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I just didnt know if there was anything else to look for while it was down.
Old 04 May 2012, 08:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check mater's makeover II, bottom of last page. He's having that very same problem. Maybe that could be helpful to you?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 May 2012, 08:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help. A quick update on my quest to repair my cruiser. I removed the valve cover on my way to pulling off the head just to see if there was a valve spring broken on the # 3 cyl. I decided to check the compression again on that cyl. and now its reading 130 to 150. I removed the gauge and reinstalled it and got the same thing. When I checked it the other day it was only 80 to 90. If this is a head problem what would my findings mean?
Old 05 May 2012, 10:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

NEVER take a compression test unless you're willing to rip apart the engine.

'01 and up switched to smaller, and evidently poorer exhaust valves.
Every once and a while you hear of one burnt.

If you're getting good numbers on your second check, accidentally leave gauge behind tire and back up.
Old 06 May 2012, 06:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: head problem?

Right now that sounds like good advice! I want the car fixed but wonder if there is something I am missing. Removing the head is a big deal . I'm still trying to understand if it is in the head then why does it run so good when pulling away from a stop and runs so well just driving it down the road. someone said i needed to check the lower intake gasket where it fits into cyl.3 to see if its leaking, or if there is a problem with the intake itself. I am at a loss at this moment.
Old 06 May 2012, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe a peace of carbon stuck on the seat area of one of the valves, and caused the original reading. Just a guess. UptownSport could better come up with an explanation. I'd refire and then check again. If checks out then. leave it alone.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 May 2012, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the help and advice on this guys, I sure do appreciate it. Hopefully I can find something wrong except a head problem. For fun and giggles I just went out and checked the temperature with a infrared laser thermometer on all 4 cylinders at the exhaust header. And all of them where the same temp. within a degree or so. It seams that if the #3 cyl. was not firing correctly the temperature would be cooler on that cyl.
MikeytheWiz likes this.
Old 06 May 2012, 08:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's a first I heard of, compression fixing itself. Way to go! Miracles do happen I guess. Awesome!

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com